TV wiring in home rennovation

Mehaul

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on wiring in a home rennovation.

We're putting Ethernet to all places we're expecting to put a TV now or in the future. Was considering Coax also and potentially more also. looking for advice which way to go.

In the past, we've used the Sky service. Have also used Virgin.
More recently, we've used a satellite for Freeview and attempted unsuccessfully to use an Aerial for Saorview.
We mostly watch Netflix and Disney+ but do miss some of the traditional Channels (RTE, BBC etc). RTE's streaming service is a sub par experience imo

I'm wondering what's the best wiring strategy. Do we need to put Coax to each TV point? Or coax plus satellite (are they different cables, or just different terminaltions).

We're bringing all the Ethernet to the attic - would likely bring the TV services up there too. Any advice appreciated!

M

You could use HDMI over CAT extender from the attic to where the TVs are located. 4-way example here. They include a relay for IR remote signals.

Sky are moving to favour their streaming service now, but I think for as long as it survives, it might be nice to still use any existing dish for a FreeSet box so you don't have to pay Sky to receive the free channels. Satellite uses coax, just a higher grade due to higher frequencies GT100 Vs RG6. They have the same impedance so you could use the GT100 for both, but being slightly thicker can cause a challenge with some RG6 connectors.

I'd have ethernet to most rooms if you can, never know when you need it, as leo said you can use it to carry media as well (look up hdanywhere matrixes for example)

Coax is satellite, same cable basically so run that to all tv points for free sat, can you mount an external aerial for saorview and run coax for that aswell?

Attic is fine as long as it won't get too warm as you'll have networking equipment up there I assume?

I would run two coax (for satellite and aerial signals) and two Ethernet (TV and maybe AndroidTV) to the main TV points and yes all to the attic where you can have a distribution area.

If you still can, I’d consider Ethernet to the ceiling on each floor for ceiling mount wireless access points. One to the alarm panel for Internet connected alarm system. One or two to the fuse board for various things like CT clamps for car chargers or solar panels. One to the meter box can also be handy as there tends to be more room in there for CT clamps. One or two to a car charger location (Internet plus CT clamp). Some to potential home office rooms so you can get the benefit of fibre Internet speeds.

Oh and ethernet for cctv aswell, you can send power over ethernet so just one cable but run to an outdoor point at front and back of house

I would run two coax (for satellite and aerial signals)
You can combine both on a single cable with one of these on each end, but when running cables two cables is always better. Never easy to go back and add new ones or replace faulty ones unless they're all run through conduit.

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on wiring in a home rennovation.

We're putting Ethernet to all places we're expecting to put a TV now or in the future. Was considering Coax also and potentially more also. looking for advice which way to go.

In the past, we've used the Sky service. Have also used Virgin.
More recently, we've used a satellite for Freeview and attempted unsuccessfully to use an Aerial for Saorview.
We mostly watch Netflix and Disney+ but do miss some of the traditional Channels (RTE, BBC etc). RTE's streaming service is a sub par experience imo

I'm wondering what's the best wiring strategy. Do we need to put Coax to each TV point? Or coax plus satellite (are they different cables, or just different terminaltions).

We're bringing all the Ethernet to the attic - would likely bring the TV services up there too. Any advice appreciated!

M
You could upgrade your satellite dish & LNB to use the Ka-band RTE use for Saorsat. An 80cm dish is fine for most of the country, bar some parts of the north and north west that require a 1m dish. Get one that supports twin LNBs and get one LNB for freesat and the other KA-Band LNBF for Irish satellite. You would need to double the cable run, but it means everything is on one box, for now anyway. I think the UK satellite service is continuing until at least 2028.

I would run two coax (for satellite and aerial signals) and two Ethernet (TV and maybe AndroidTV) to the main TV points and yes all to the attic where you can have a distribution area.

If you still can, I’d consider Ethernet to the ceiling on each floor for ceiling mount wireless access points. One to the alarm panel for Internet connected alarm system. One or two to the fuse board for various things like CT clamps for car chargers or solar panels. One to the meter box can also be handy as there tends to be more room in there for CT clamps. One or two to a car charger location (Internet plus CT clamp). Some to potential home office rooms so you can get the benefit of fibre Internet speeds.
My brother gave me excellent advice which I took. As I am in Dublin and even a small outdoor aerial is good, there is a spare cable running up to one of the LNB inputs that then is wired inside. Sky plus required 2 of these in the past so I had an additional wire running inside doing nothing.
So I setup my aerial off an upstairs balcony (I'm in a house so no fuss), ran the wiring over the dish, splicing the aerial wiring with the unused satellite (shotgun) cable. Then all I had to do was get a cable adaptor for the internal terminator to convert it to plug into my TV. So freesat, a few more channels on free-to-view Sky feed, and Irish channels are all available. All i have to pay for now is the TV license. The aerial was 20 euro in power city, plus a €15 arm for secure mounting and a run of cable and f-type to coax plug, and the price of the receiver box. I did eventually re-do the splicing on both sides to use 2 f-type plugs and a joiner and enclose in a waterproof junction box I zip tied to the drain.

Back