TV License fee

whiskey1

Hello, I am a sky subscriber at the moment and I am provided with RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 by Sky. Do I still have to pay my annual TV license even though I do not have an aerial to recieve these channels?

Yes you do. Isn't it a ridiculous money making racket. We seem to pay twice for a lot of things in this country.

Yes you do. Isn't it a ridiculous money making racket. We seem to pay twice for a lot of things in this country.

If you feel that strongly about it, you should drop the sky subscription.

Yeah if you love watching TV through the haze that is terrestrial TV, depending on where you live :rolleyes:

TV license is a joke, if it was in anyway not a money racket there would be zero ads on TV at least.

Hi Leo

I just don't get why you would suggest dropping the sky subscription. I am an extremely satisfied sky customer. As far as I can see I get very little for my tv licence where as I am happy to pay my sky subscription because I get quality and quantity.

you pay a licence for your receiving appartus,the tv,and then you decide the supplier you want,sky,upc etc.

you pay a licence for your receiving appartus,the tv,and then you decide the supplier you want,sky,upc etc.

I dont't think this is correct, what about the computer, the mobile phone, the ipods are these not receiving apparatuses in which we can watch tv programmes, news broadcast, documentaries etc in which we dont need a licence??

Surely he/she shouldn't be forced to ditch the service that they want because they're forced to pay for a service that they don't want?

section 140 of the Broadcasting Act 2009
defines the “television set” to include ‘any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.’ The Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources has previously expressed the opinion that devices capable of receiving on-demand digital content (non-linear audiovisual services) over the Internet and through mobile phone devices are intended to be excluded from the requirement of holding a television licence.

So are you saying that a person who dosent have a TV but does have a computer should have a TV licence??? I have never heard of anybody being prosecuted as such.

Hopalong thats bull. Its nothing to do with the "Aparatus" as such. All it means is that if one has a TV they have to be receiving channels (unless its broken) and therefore whether you are bothered or not with the irish channels one has to pay a tax called a tv licence.

It's not "bull", read Windup's post, they went to trouble of posting the relevant legislation.

Hi Leo

I just don't get why you would suggest dropping the sky subscription. I am an extremely satisfied sky customer. As far as I can see I get very little for my tv licence where as I am happy to pay my sky subscription because I get quality and quantity.

Exactly. I note that alot of people who post here often exude a "Holier than thou" vibe from them, opitomised by Leo's post.

It is a crazy situation where you are forced to pay for receiving terrestrial channels even though you dont watch them. I know perfectly well its the law but the government changes laws constantly to suit themselves.

This tax is completely outdated since a huge percentage of people have some form of satellite TV, however due to our current economic disaster its unlikely any government will scrap the TV license.

Lads - your agument is a no-hoper -It is all summed up above in one word ie . Leglislation.

The aparatus in question is a television , and if there is one of these at an address , then you need a TV licence .

End of story ..

Exactly. I note that alot of people who post here often exude a "Holier than thou" vibe from them, opitomised by Leo's post.

"Holier than thou" is just another name for a bloody sheep. Ireland is full of them. Afraid to speak up against out dated so called "relevent legislation". There was no such thing as sky/ntL when this legislation was brought in. If it suit, the law can change but if they are making easy money why change unless enough standup to them.

Perhaps if these tv licence agreers are so happy to just pay up, they won't mind paying the licence fee brought in to cover the radio stations played on their apparatus at home or whilst driving. Wouldn't that be nice.

... Perhaps if these tv licence agreers are so happy to just pay up, they won't mind paying the licence fee brought in to cover the radio stations played on their apparatus at home or whilst driving. Wouldn't that be nice.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but the requirement to have a radio reception licence was abolished some time ago.

Maybe the sheep, or goats as the case may be, who pay for driving licences, dog licences, road haulage licences, pilot's licences, etc. should mobilise and become refusniks, is that your suggestion, refuse all licence payments to central government?

I have long since cancelled my sky subscription, as part of cost saving measures. I still have the TV even though it's not used. I have no aerial.

Does having the "apparatus" i.e. tv in the house mean i am liable for the TV Licence even though it's not used (except to watch the occassional DVD) ?

Back