Turning off Facebook Notifications etc.

Logo

I'm on Facebook to keep in touch with friends abroad and for family photos. I've tried turning everything off as I would prefer to be anonymous but unwanted Facebook 'Notifications' keep cropping up on my phone whenever I use it for internet - which is very seldom. These also appear on my laptop. I've never posted on the site and have tried turning off all Notifications without luck. Please do not recommend WhatsApp etc. as I'm a total luddite. Any ideas. Thanks

What OS are you on? On recent Android versions you can disallow notifications on an app by app basis.

Windows 7 on laptop and it's a Vodafone phone that I can log onto FB - due to seldom use I've never downloaded or used an app on the phone. Thanks

Apologies for delay in replying - it's A Vodafone Smart 4 phone. Thanks

OK, so that's an Android phone, take a look here and try the suggestion under the 'Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to 4.4 Kit Kat' section

Thanks for your help Leo. The FB App was already installed on the phone when I bought it (along with plenty more). Your guide showed me how to stop notifications - and even uninstall if necessary.

Reactions: Leo
*Unrelated to original question, merely FYI*

If FB was installed on your phone when you bought it and you didn't clear everything, I'm concerned the phone wasn't wiped back to factory settings. It certainly sounds like it wasn't. If you get a 2nd hand phone you should always wipe it and start from scratch. Otherwise, anything could be installed, including apps that report passwords, emails etc. If you haven't installed 100% of what is installed, you are open to large security risk.

Also, I'm going to ignore your "Luddite" moniker, and say you should use Whatsapp. The fact that you know about it means you are not a luddite. I have recently engaged my 69 year old father on Whatsapp so there is hope for anyone.

Last edited:
Back