Turn 2 bed apartment into a 3 bed

ciaran11

Hi, I have a 2 bed apartment and the kitchen needs to be replaced - it has a very large sitting room, so I'm thinking of splitting the sitting room into Kitchen and sitting room, and then converting the kitchen into a bedroom. It should not be a load of extra work, as I must put in a new kitchen anyway. Can I do this or would I be restricted with planning etc. If I do it and say nothing, what happens ? The apartment is in a building with a 2 bed on each floor so 8 2 beds in the building in total. Thanks for advice.

Is there a management company ? They will usually require you to give them any notice of change of layout and possibly an engineers report. As regards doing it on the QT it will come back to bite you when you try and sell it.

You may be in breach of fire regulations if you change the use to a bedroom. A quick chat with an architect may be in order.

You need to ensure the layout complies with the granted Fire Cert, or at the very least complies with TGD Part B (Fire Safety).
Typically, once you can get the bedroom to open into the protected hallway, use of fire doors, extension of fire alarm and detection system, it can work.

Typically, Planning will be exempt as Section 41H should prevail here.
You should notify the MC that you are getting some work done, they may require a report from a Chartered Engineer stating that the works will not effect the structure of the builder, no new structural elements are being put in place and that the new works will comply with Part B (Fire Safety), that's what we done as Engineers when engaged by a city centre resident.

You may find it difficult moving the kitchen though, as you have to get all the services and waste back to the existing service duct where the kitchen is now.

Back