Tumble dryer - what type?

NewEdition

In the market for a tumble dryer in the new house
The type with the extractor tube requires an open door or a hole in the wall.
The alternative is a condensor that will need emptying periodically.
What are the pros and cons of each?
Hole in wall is not my preference if possible.

NE

Heat pump tumble dryer, better than condenser (less energy), and also better for the fabric as temperature is lower.
Needs emptying like a condenser But isn’t exactly a huge job.
Wouldn’t go with hole in a wall dryer.

Elderly relative has one that has to be emptied, I visit regularly to help out around the house. Find the dryer a pain in the neck. Can the condensate (is that a word?) not be emptied into drain like the washing machine?

Some of the condenser driers come with a siphon tube that goes in the water collector. If you have an available drainpipe (e.g. one you can share with the washing machine) the end of the siphon tube goes in it and it empties itself.

In the market for a tumble dryer in the new house
The type with the extractor tube requires an open door or a hole in the wall.
The alternative is a condensor that will need emptying periodically.
What are the pros and cons of each?
Hole in wall is not my preference if possible.

NE

Third option is the heat pump dryer, considerably more expensive but the best by far, we had both condenser and vented, prefer vented.

A heat pump dryer is almost double the price of a comparable condenser - I'm not sure that would pay for itself in the long term in regards to how much cheaper they are to run. We opted for a condenser, it's hard to justify paying twice as much on something that is still relatively new technology. Maybe next time around we might consider it.

A heat pump dryer is almost double the price of a comparable condenser - I'm not sure that would pay for itself in the long term in regards to how much cheaper they are to run. We opted for a condenser, it's hard to justify paying twice as much on something that is still relatively new technology. Maybe next time around we might consider it.

Was in curry's around September and looked at heat pump one, 500 euro, bought vented Indesit instead for 200,we have plenty of yard space so with a few hours on clothesline, the vented is fine.

Had zanussi condenser before that but may have been very old as was in house when we moved in.

Agreed, who just leave s a big hole in the external wall? Mice gaining entry that way means a shoddy job of installing the external vent cover.

Any developments with the heat pump dryer?

We have a condenser, need a new one. It seems they are mostly all A or B rated regardless of condenser or heat pump, so can there really be much saving in the heat pump, as they price still seems to be double on average?

I recently bought a Samsung Heat Pump dryer rated A++. We don't have much outdoor drying space and with babies there is a constant need for drying! Despite being twice the cost, I figured based on the below it would pay for itself back in the long run versus a cheaper less efficient model.

https://www.*****************.com/cost-using-tumble-dryer.html

For example – comparing costs over just 5 years : If you bought the cheaper Tumble Dryer – the Logik at €260 with a B rating – your total cost including electricity over 5 years would be around €810
Buying the A++ rated Beko model for €470 would end up costing round €725 over 5 years.

The rating system has recently been upgraded so it’s now much harder to get an A than before.

Need to decide between a heat pump dryer or a condenser.

Heat pump is obviously a lot more expensive but also more efficient to run. Money aside, Is the neat pump dryer better at drying clothes? We currently don’y have a dryer snd all clothes are dried on a clothes horse - with s heat pump dryer can we just throw items like socks, underwear maybe t-shirts directly from the washing machine into the dryer?

Grew up with a condenser dryer and to be honest there wasn’t huge amount of benefit - if the clothes need to be hung up before going in the dryer anyway I probably just wouldn’t bother.

Need to decide between a heat pump dryer or a condenser.

Heat pump is obviously a lot more expensive but also more efficient to run. Money aside, Is the neat pump dryer better at drying clothes? We currently don’y have a dryer snd all clothes are dried on a clothes horse - with s heat pump dryer can we just throw items like socks, underwear maybe t-shirts directly from the washing machine into the dryer?

Grew up with a condenser dryer and to be honest there wasn’t huge amount of benefit - if the clothes need to be hung up before going in the dryer anyway I probably just wouldn’t bother.
Do you have outside space to hang clothes? This is the best bet. Even during the winter there are plenty of days with good drying. Then the economy of each use of the dryer will be less important. I only use my dryer a handful of times in the year.

The holy grail would be a covered outside space. If ever get one of those, I'd throw away the dryer!

Bought a new condenser lately, had not had a dryer in over 20 odd years maybe even more! Anyway did my research and while the heat pump is cheaper to run the length of the cycles put me off, because it doesn't heat hence the low running costs it takes forever to dry stuff imo, some programmes were around 4 hours long. If I want to use a dryer I want it fast, I have radiators or outside if I want slow. Heat pump pulls air from the room it's in the sales person explained to me, as it happens I would have been putting it in a utility room that does not have a radiator and would not be particularly warm so that meant it would not be a quick dry for sure! Ideally it needs to be in a warmish room to pull in warm air. That was the explanation given to me anyway.

I could have gone vented as it is against an outside wall but too much hassle to get the hole drilled so went with condenser, very happy with it so far, 40 minute standard programme dries most things straight from 1200 spin in washing machine.

We have a heat pump dryer and while it is economical to run it does have it's down sides. As Monbretia has mentioned the length of cycle to dry. Minimum 2hrs45 and occasionally will need a second round depending on what's drying (towels for e.g.). It dries better on a full drum so if for e.g. you want to throw one item in to dry it quickly for a night out, that's not an option. Most drying I hang out but the likes of underwear/socks/pjs/towels all go into the dryer as I find it keeps them softer.

We recently kicked out our condenser dyer and got a heat pump dryer (A++ rating).
Might be a bit slower, but generates much less heat and is also quieter overall. Less energy usage is the big plus.
Would never go back to a standard condenser dryer.

I cannot agree with what Monbretia has heard from the sales person, this is incorrect information. A heat pump dryer generates heat and does not rely on temperature of the room.

Back