Tuam, Co. Galway

Savvy

I'm considering buying in Tuam or one of the villages near it(Abbey/Corrofin).
Does anybody have any experience of what it is like?

What are the schools like?
I'm going to have a good look around tomorrow but its good to hear others that have moved there.

Re: What is Tuam like to live in

Tuam is (way) cheaper than any other town in Galway because it has a bad reputation !

The schools are good.

Yea, I heard the boxer, Francie Barrett on the news at one today talking about some sort of a row between his family and a family called Mc Donagh that happened outside a petrol station in Tuam earlier this week.

Aparently this fued has been on-going for the past 8 years or so.

I think the travellers family brawl was on the Tuam road in Galway.

Apologies. Protocol is correct. It was the Tum road and not the town of Tuam. [broken link removed] (real audio needed to hear this)

Can we keep to the theme of the post.....I'm not interested in knackers fighting on the Tuam Road.!!! Unless this is a regular thing in Tuam itself!

I have kids in primary school so good schools is primary concern

I have a brother in law living in Cricket fields estate in Tuam. Tuam is cheap for house buying.
The good thing about tuam is that it is only roughly 25mins drive from Galway.The bad thing is ,it is the Mecca for Knacks in the West of ireland.It is though a nicely laid out town with a country feel to it.It is also only 45 mins from athlone. Hope this helps.

Tuam, in my opinion, has an unfair reputation. Its true there are settled travellers in it, they basically live in their own road and estate(s). But its not like Tuam is some sort of battle ground. Its the same as any other town in Ireland. From what I understand there are two traveller families who dont like each other, big deal.

Its a growing town too, not unlike Naas, with a mix of all age groups. There are 5 secondary schools and at least 3 primary schools I can think of with good reputations.
I visit there probably every second weekend and there has recently been a new small shopping centre built and its only 20miles from Galway. I can tell you it makes a welcomed change to have smiling,welcoming shop assistants compared to what I am used to in Dublin.

Houses wise you need to choose an estate carefully (if you are not going for a house a few miles outside of town). Some are nicer than others, just drive around them and you'll get a feel for them. There are a lot of houses for sale since the newer estates were built so you wil have a lot of choice.

Corofin would probably be more expensive than Tuam. Personally I'd rather live in Galway city, but thats because there is more to do there.

Be aware you've to drive through Claregalway (a bad traffic bottleneck) to get to Galway so if you've to commute to/from Galway at peak times it's definetly more than 25 minutes

Popped down at the weekend. My impressions are

1)Tuam:
I think I found one of the estates that the knacks dominate!!Plenty of hiace vans and horse and carts.

The town centre is quite nice, there is a lot of character there.

2)Corrofin:
Nice place, a lot of houses going up and a lot of development land up for sale so it will become a lot bigger.The houses are more expensive here but tend to be bigger.

3)Claregalway:
Place I like a lot(traffic aside!).It has most facilities that you need within a short walk and the houses are in the same price range as Corrofin. There is a bypass due but it could be 2020 before that arrives!!!.

4)Abbeyknockmoy:
A most unusual village, its about 200m long with absolutely no developement outside of that. No spread of any sort. It consists of one petrol station,one pub and one housing estate(a very nice one though).

Ideally I'd like to be in Galway city but the areas I'd be interested Salthill/Renmore are very expensive and I'd prefer to get a good size detached house for that money instead.

I'm going to get AIP in the next few weeks and see what my options are like then, meanwhile I'll keep looking.

If distance isn't a problem I would consider Milltown (Millbrook is the estate) (10 mins from Tuam), there is a new housing estate being built, very small nice town, the prices are pretty much the same as Tuam though. Tuam really isn't that bad just pick a nice estate, Cois na HAbhainn looks quite nice. It really depends on the area in Tuam. Also Dunmore would be reasonable as well, just about 15 mins outside Tuam.

The only downside is the traffic, it really is terrible, it can take an hour to get to Galway in the morning and if you haven't left very early it's impossible to get decent parking anywhere in Galway. The evening's are even worse it can take almost an hour to get out to the Tuam road in Galway and then you get stuck in the Claregalway traffic for about half an hour, lately there is also traffic jams going into Tuam as well. A few evening's it has taken me half an hour to get into the Tuam!

On the upside the prices are reasonable and there's a nice new swimming pool being built and you are really close to Galway if you need anything.

Just a quick note I spent two years in St Jarlaths Tuam boarding (which has just recently stopped the boarding, its a great secondary school ) and barely saw any travellers they keep to themselves, not bothered by the rest of the population and live as stated on their own road, there is a bit of a stigma attached to saying your from Tuam though which is not fair in my own opinion!

Lets not forget that the western rail corridor is " in the pipeline " ??http://www.westontrack.com/ which will see property values up and up as Tuam becomes a real commute possibility for Galway!

I went to the Mercy as a boarder in the 80's and agree with michael.malo - we never saw any trouble. Excellent school btw. Its like any other town has good parts and parts that are not as good. Ballygaddy Road and any of the estates of there are good.

sorry did't realise this was an old thread that someone else had bumped up.

Avoid the Galway road (Gilmartin Road) and Dublin Road (Parkmore Estate) areas, other than that the rest of the town is ok-ish. I would agree with Enaja about Milltown - its a great little village, it has won the title of "tidyest town in Galway" for 10 out of the past 12 years. It also has two good national schools either side of the village, and has bus service to secondary schools in Dunmore and Tuam. I wouldnt be mad keen on living in Dunmore - I went to school there. They were big into wife-swapping 15 years ago, God only knows what its like now! There is also a good road from Milltown to Tuam/Galway, and there is a good chance that the train station will re-open in the future, which Dunmore will never have.

Back