TSB locked out current account without notice.

gar32

I moved out of Ireland 7 years ago. My wife left a few hundred euro in her current account TSB. We called to transfer the funds to my Irish BOI account but where told the following. Send Copy of passport & Marriage cert (Name change for my wife) and all the details to transfer money etc. We did by registered post.

After 5 weeks waiting we called again. All details taken and we where told we would be called back. We where Not.

3rd call and again all details taken and promised we would be called back & we where not.

4th call 25 mins on the phone before finally getting to branch where account is to be told. TSB sent 3 letters informing you that proof of ID inform & address where needed. (No letter ever received.) The account is locked and we would have to get a solicitor to stamp copies of passport, marriage cert and 2 form of proof of a address. Too confirm we are who we are. (We live in Germany)

In the end my wife will have to go in person to unlock account to close it and transfer the funds.

My question is should I complain to the ombudsman about not being notified? Also would this be normal for a bank to lock out account just like that when the 3 other calls did not say the account was locked?

Thanks in advance

gar32

It's not really their fault.

The anti-money laundering and dormant accounts rules are very strict.

You would be more annoyed if you asked for the money to be told that it had been transferred out by someone claiming to be you 5 years ago.

Brendan

I more have a issue with not been informed. They had a forwarding address for over 7 years. Postage could not be that much more to Germany. Rule is we have to be informed 3 times before account is locked out.

Rule is we have to be informed 3 times before account is locked out.
What "rule"? I've never heard of any such rule in any bank.

The following was inserted into their terms and conditions in 2013:
New sub condition in General Terms and Conditions: 4. Customer Information, sub condition 4(k)
New wording in conditions: We reserve the right to require verification of identity and address from you where your Account is designated as an “Inactive” Account, that is to say where no transactions have been effected on the Account for a continuous period of 3 years and for the purposes of this condition, a transaction is a lodgement or transfer to or a withdrawal or transfer from the Account.

The lady clear said more then once that a bank should try contact the hold of account 3 times before an account would be locked out. Having had no action on the account for 3 years would explain the lock out but why was this not told to us the 1st 3 phone calls? My wife will close account in person in a few weeks as we will travel to Ireland. As always finding the Irish customer service hit and miss. Some times great some times as in this case not so good. Thanks for the answers :)

Back