Trying to sort out a pension

It’s an analogy.

I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable in relation to financial matters. Yet I’ve no involvement in the day to day running of my pension monies, nor do I want it. I don’t even check the value.
Do you know how's it's allocated?
And who decided the allocation?

I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable in relation to financial matters. Yet I’ve no involvement in the day to day running of my pension monies, nor do I want it. I don’t even check the value.
Over the years managing my PRSA and paying in by lump sums, I have on occasions bought on dips and avoided buying at peaks.
I have remained in 100% equities in the same unit fund since the start. I reckon I have performed better using this strategy than by blindly paying by the month. 2020 was a roller-coaster and it certainly paid off to monitor my ARF and manage it as I did.
With respect my strategy makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
I have not advised or suggested anything.

Haven't you?

I would always recommend keeping a regular check on the performance of the PRSA. This way you can judge if you should raise or lower your risk rating.
Well for instance if in the first 5 years the funds have performed very well and there is an overall gain of 50% I might consider increasing my risk level.

If you still think that "increasing your risk level" after a period where your funds have performed well is a good strategy, even when various other posters here have explained the various reasons why that's demonstrably not a smart thing to do at all and will inevitably lose you more money in the long term than you can hope to gain, then I'll have to leave you to follow your market timing strategies and wish you well.

There is a strong feeling that the market can't be timed and it's a popular to post this point of view.

However, aside from 100% equities is it possible to anticipate poor bond returns?
Stock market drop USA then assume emerging markets will do poorly?

Those are typical pension allocations which can be chopped and changed?

There is a strong feeling that the market can't be timed and it's a popular to post this point of view.
It's not a point of view.
It's a fact that nobody can predict the future.
If you disagree then I'm pretty sure that that James Randi $1M is still available for the taking.

Back