Trying to find somebody/track somebody down

rosey

Hi, wondering if anybody can offer advice?
A friend of mine is trying to track down a relative who she thinks may be in hospital or even having been committed to a psychiatric hospital.
The relative in question has some alcohol and maybe even mental health issues and became estranged from most of his family. My friend is concerned about him as his neighbours don't seem to have any information and my friend has also fallen out with family members who may have more info but are refusing to help.
There is nothing sinister in my friend's wish to find this man- she was always on good terms with him and is simply concerned about his well-being. They were friends but nothing more and there is no motive except knowing that this man is ok- I think my friend was shocked by the news of that man's body that was found in Wexford.
My friend is related by marriage but would have no right to be given any info by official organisations.
Any suggestions as to how you might go about finding somebody who may be in hospital or psychiatric hospital. I understand need for patient privacy so is there really anything my friend could do?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Part one believe it or not is google. Was this person ever arrested or in court ? May have some name in an obscure newspaper report. Check local Garda station of last know address. A Garda might be keeping an eye on him for various reasons. Ask questions around his last place or residence. Does he have a GP ? Did he have any old school friends he nmight have kept in touch with ?

First off report the missing person to the Gardai; they have the power to check bank, phone, social welfare records.

In my experience Private Investigators are a waste of money for this.

Salvation Army can do quite a lot, but I'm pretty sure you have to be related to the missing person.

Set up a facebook page. Use a recent photo - and ask your friends to share with their friends. Provide a true account of the search and why.
Seems to work very well. I seen a recent campaign that worked using this platform

First off report the missing person to the Gardai; they have the power to check bank, phone, social welfare records.

Will they really do anything for a non-relative where the family are un-cooperative?

If there is a concern for the persons welfare you should report it. Helps if you happen to know your local Garda fairly well.

Post on the likes of Twitter too, I always retweet such posts and others do the same. Let us know here if you set up an account and those on it might be able to help :)

Back