Trying to find out if deceased father held any shares.

shoppergal

I wonder if anyone can help. My father has recently died and I'm sorting through all his paperwork.There are mounds and mounds of old share certificate, some of them approximately 20 years old. My mother thinks that most of them were ultimately sold but is there any way of me finding out? Is it a case of writing to each company individually to establish if my father held shares? If so, can anyone give me an idea of how I would word the correspondence and what information I would need to include? Mixture of English and Irish companies.

Take a photocopy of the certificates and write to Registrar of each company. The address should be on the reverse of the share certificate. It is possible that there were consolidations etc and new certificates issued or the companies could have been taken over. If the company was taken over, it is possible that the old certificates were never asked for before payment was made and they are worthless. However, Registrar will let you know.

Good question, how do revenue find out for the purpose of calculating Inheritance tax if not declared

If so, can anyone give me an idea of how I would word the correspondence and what information I would need to include?
My condolences on your loss. Are you the named the executor? If you are, write to the Registrars of the companies concerned, enclosing a copy of the death certificate and that portion of your father's will naming you as the Executor as well as copies of the shares.

My condolences on your loss. Are you the named the executor? If you are, write to the Registrars of the companies concerned, enclosing a copy of the death certificate and that portion of your father's will naming you as the Executor as well as copies of the shares.
Thank you. Yes, I'm the executor. Thanks for the advice.

Take a photocopy of the certificates and write to Registrar of each company. The address should be on the reverse of the share certificate. It is possible that there were consolidations etc and new certificates issued or the companies could have been taken over. If the company was taken over, it is possible that the old certificates were never asked for before payment was made and they are worthless. However, Registrar will let you know.
Thanks a million.

Have a look at his bank account. Are there any dividends being lodged?

He presumably dealt through a stockbroker. They will probably send you a statement of account telling you what sales he made.

It's a bid odd that he still has share certs if he has sold the shares? The Irish banks all consolidated their shares and issued new certs. So he could have old AIB and BoI certs which are no longer valid. But he should then have the share certs for the consolidated amounts.

Have a look at his bank account. Are there any dividends being lodged?

He presumably dealt through a stockbroker. They will probably send you a statement of account telling you what sales he made.

It's a bid odd that he still has share certs if he has sold the shares? The Irish banks all consolidated their shares and issued new certs. So he could have old AIB and BoI certs which are no longer valid. But he should then have the share certs for the consolidated amounts.

Unfortunately his paperwork is a complete jumble, he never threw anything out unfortunately, so I'm just trying to work through it all now.

That's actually a good thing in a way. Makes it easier than if he used to throw most or all paperwork out. At least you have info to go on.
It is and it isn't (a good thing I mean). If all was organised neatly then great but as an example one of today's boxes included a letter congratulating him on his 1st communion ( which was 1948), a photo of my niece when she was a baby(she's now 16), bank statements from 2010 and the receipt from a tv purchased in 2020. There are many dozens of boxes/folders like this

Back