TRVs / Thermostat

allencat3

A couple of days ago, we had the gas central heating system updated in our 40-year-old house - with the boiler upgraded to condensing system, and heating controls (two zones: heating and hot water) installed, and some radiators changed plus the c/h system cleaned out and balanced, and TRVs installed on all radiators. Thermostat installed in hall, set as "Living" for the heating controller.
The system operated very well - however, despite the thermostat for 'Living' set at 21C, and the TRVs in all rooms, set by the plumber at highest setting without asking me first for my preference of temperature. End result: radiators hopping hot, and 'Living' thermostat on the heating controller - linked to the wireless thermostat in the hall - which is the coldest room - displaying quite low temperature.
I'd like to turn down the TRVs, but knowing from past experience some years ago, this could upset the balance of the c/h system. Or should the wireless thermostat be moved to a warmer spot in the hall?
Thanks in advance,
Clueless Allencat3

You will do no harm by turning down the thermostic valves, that is what they are there for, as the room reachs the called for temperature the valves will auto close and maintain at your desired temperature.

Agree with the above, and move the wireless thermostat to a location near where you spend most of your time (likely the living room). This is the area you want to manage the temperature for, not a hallway.

The thermostat should be in a room which doesn't have a TRV, usually the hallway.
I would turn all TRVs down to the lowest setting. If you find a room is too cold, turn the TRV in that room up to the next setting. It will take a bit of trial and error.
Different people prefer different levels of heat but I normally find that it radiators are properly sized, the house is well insulated, and both internal & external doors are kept closed, TRVs are normally set to number 2 out of 5. I even keep them at number 1 in an unused bedroom and in the bathroom.

Back