Truly Irish Rashers and Sausages: What do AAMers think of this new co?

Sounds good. Muat look them up when next out shopping. Noticed today when doing my shopping in Tesco (rarely shop there) that most of the sausages stocked had very low percentage pork content.

I must say I was truly shocked when recently we found out that Irish hampers didn't have Irish meat. I now don't believe any brand name as I think we were conned.

I hope this company does what it says on the tin. Irish rashers from Irish pigs. I'll certainly be giving them a try.

Donegal Catch = not made in Donegal

Kerry Charleville cheese = made in Coleraine, a long way from Charleville

There are loads of examples of this going on.

I have on front of me some cheese bought in a supermarket:

"Irish cheddar cheese" with a tricolour attached.

But, the code in the circle on the back reads UK LK 002 EC.

To be fair, it is explained:

"Produced in Irl using Irish milk, packaged in the UK"

Interesting to see that the producers own the distribution company - seems to be a move back to the co-op movement of the past (before the farmers sold out to take the quick shilling).

The IFA have had a long running campaign about food labeling, and in particuler, foreign food brought in here, having some reprocessing done and then labeling it (legally) as Irish.

I haven't tried these products but I'm delighted to see it, it's a great example of what we need in this country, people getting off their backsides, not moaning about the Govt not doing this or that and simply getting on with it themselves. Full marks to all those concerned.

It is not that new - these were giving out samples in Superquinn, I think around July last year.

Agree with the concept. Found them nice too, if slightly salty.

Id dont think they hide the fact that they are an "Island of Ireland" enteprise.

I hope they are successful. What swung it for me was that they made a promise that the rashers would not shrivel and they didnt!

I have on front of me some cheese bought in a supermarket:

"Irish cheddar cheese" with a tricolour attached.

But, the code in the circle on the back reads UK LK 002 EC.

To be fair, it is explained:

"Produced in Irl using Irish milk, packaged in the UK"
A bit like the subtle difference between 'Smoked Irish Salmon' and 'Irish Smoked Salmon' which are two completed different products.

They tasted nice but were a little too salty. aj

You can soak rashers in hot ( ish) water for a couple of minutes before cooking. It will significantly help reduce the saltiness, and won't make them cook differently ( at least not in the grill - I don't fry them).

I would have thought that 85% wasn't anything to write home about anyway. I'm sure I've seen a lot of sausages from the great to the obscure claiming this.

Pete, the 85% meat doesn't necessarily mean lean meat. If it was 85% fat meat and 15% other, they could label food as you've outlined.

No idea Lex what the breakdown of 85% is, just has a red sticker on front & listed in the ingredients on the back. Made in N Ireland.

Back