Trs

100car

I bought my house in 1998 but never registered for TRS when it came in in 2002. I want to register for it now but want my mortgage provider, Bank of Scotland to give me what they owe me in a lump sum. I know someone else that tried to do this with another mortgage provider but they ignored the request and made the deductions in their monthly repayments. Do I have a right to insist on a lump sum repayment? and if so how can I force them to do it my way? So far they're not very responsive and have told me that the customer service department will send me a letter with my options! help.

your port of call here is the revenue and not the bank and if you want to claim trs for 2002 you're going to have to make the claim by 31st October (next tuesday!). After that it falls foul of the 4-year rule and you will lose it.

Thank you Boberto. I phoned the tax office in a panic and was assured that I have to the end of the year before the 4 year rule becomes effective.

I was always under the impression that the 31st of October was the last date to claim so apologies for inducing your bout of panic. I have just spent the holiday(?) weekend trawling through boxes in search of mortgage interest certificates/medical receipts for 2002 and hand-delivered the return this morning. To be honest, if I thought it was the end of the year, I probably wouldn't have started looking until 30th December! So panic would merely have been delayed rather than resolved on my part... I really must sort out the next 3 years soon!

Back