TRS finished Today

Point taken papercut but it was in response to the original remark about 'ruining the lives of honest people'. The date is, I presume, because the budget is for 2010 so I think that makes sense. The seven years is also probably from the precedence of the original timescale. The point I'm making is that you have to pick some date in which you feel NE may start to be a factor. 2004 is not a bad choice but that, of course, may change totally. My point is that the dates are selected and that is the benchmark. We cant decide to change around and make exceptions and any persons whim. To put into perspective, I was born in December but when I played under age football I had to play with people who were a year older than me i.e. say I was 14 in December, I was deemed to have to play under fifteen for the whole of that year despite being eligible for under 14 for 11 months of it. They couldn't make exceptions which is the way the cookie crumbles.

Papercut hit the nail on the head. I don't see why the statement "they are ruining lives of honest working people" should make you reply in such a way.

I was under the impression that this forum was a place where people could discuss issues in an adult way, not with such replies as "are you for Real"

These random decisions are hurting people in a big way and I just wanted to know the logic behind it, simple question really.

I don't see why the statement "they are ruining lives of honest working people" should make you reply in such a way.
These random decisions are hurting people in a big way
Because it has nothing to do with the original query/question and is just a wild unsubstantiated statement. Can you show me proof that this issue alone is ruining the lives of working people ? Stick to the point.

No, it is not a wild statement. Decisions like this, that take money away from working families do hurt.

There are many people/families all over the country who are struggling to pay mortgages, bills etc and payments such as this are a lifeline for them to hold onto their homes. Therefore, for you to say that taking money away from them will not have any effect is actually quite ludicrous.

No, it is not a wild statement. Decisions like this, that take money away from working families do hurt.

There are many people/families all over the country who are struggling to pay mortgages, bills etc and payments such as this are a lifeline for them to hold onto their homes. Therefore, for you to say that taking money away from them will not have any effect is actually quite ludicrous.

Because it has nothing to do with the original query/question and is just a wild unsubstantiated statement. Can you show me proof that this issue alone is ruining the lives of working people ? Stick to the point.

this is a recording ......

On another note relating to TRS finishing today.
I too got a letter in January of this year (2010) stating my TRS has finished. We bought our house in April 2003. I would have thought that the seven years should in fact be seven years. Therefore running til April.
Apparently the seven years finishes at the beginning of the seventh calendar year according to PTSB.

It seems you are better off buying in January if this is the case .
If you buy in say september you will miss out on 9 months of TRS .

Am I missing something here?
Has anyone else a similar problem?

On another note relating to TRS finishing today.
I too got a letter in January of this year (2010) stating my TRS has finished. We bought our house in April 2003. I would have thought that the seven years should in fact be seven years. Therefore running til April.
Apparently the seven years finishes at the beginning of the seventh calendar year according to PTSB.

No you are not missing something. I'm afraid that is a well documented fact on these boards.

I bought my house in 2001 and lost my TRS automatically at the last Budget as I was over the 7yrs limit.

To be honest, I didn't mind too much as it had resorted to a standard €50 each month, and I was able to manage without it as my mortgage isn't too big. Plus I was happy to do my bit to help the country !!!

No. You would get a full years relief on the first year, in this case 2003. So for example if you only pay your mortgage for 8 months you will get your full years TRS divided by 8 on each monthly payment. If you check your statements on 2003 you should see that the monthly payments were less than 2004. Hope this makes sense.

Back