TRR Temporary Rehabilitation Rate of pay

november16

Hello Hopefully someone can answer my question please

Does anyone know how TRR rate of pay is calculated.

I have 26 approx, years of service and salary is 45,000. Reduced by half after 26 years on a H.E.O (Acting) salary. Clerical Officer position imposed after 26 years carrying out the higher role on secondment

I was told TRR is €208.00 and this was a temporary amount whilst they figure it out!!! in case of an overpayment!!!

I have also just been notified of an overpayment from 3 months ago and that I should have been on TRR from 15th May. I can make a repayment plan with them no doubt out of the 208 euro...

I did not apply for this TRR and cant get an answer from the service who sent the letter re how it was calculated. You would never guess who they are

Trr is pensionable rate of pay. So if you were to retire now, it's how much you'd get as your pension. Generally we found it was paid in quarterly payments. The amount of incorrect information you will be given by that particular crowd dealing with this is crazy. Some may even tell you that it comes out of your pensions or affects your pension - it does not. Again though, ask for everything in writing and record all of your interactions with HR. Trust me when I say you may need it ..

Thanks very much Flyingfolly. Yes I think I May very well indeed need to do that. If it is not written down, it never happened, that's my experience with them - sceal eile. I was previously given the incorrect pensions information, whereby they included the twenty six year Acting/Higher Duty allowance. I asked for verification and was then given the correct information, as at that time, but I would not stake my GOLD PLATED PENSION that the information provided then was even correct. The vagueness and inaccuracies and the firing out of circulars beggars belief. This is the 3rd time they have over payed me and I don't know how I am supposed to pay them back unless I take up prostitution, believe me very un lightly at this stage.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge your TRR is calculated like your pension so you have 26 of the 40 to get paid ie 26/40 but as your not a HEO but acting up its your salary of your current grade that the calculation is done on , the acting up counts for allowance calculations only . So work out your TRR based on salary divided by 2 for pension and then you actually get 26/40 of that figure . Now do you have Income Protection taken out with Cornmarket ?? Here is a link , so input your Union and you can see your plan from there . https://www.cornmarket.ie/income-protection/

Does anyone know how TRR rate of pay is calculated.

I have 26 approx, years of service and salary is 45,000. Reduced by half after 26 years on a H.E.O (Acting) salary. Clerical Officer position imposed after 26 years carrying out the higher role on secondment
Pension rate would differ depending on whether you are Class A PRSI or modified rate (pre-1995). Which are you? Are you getting any Social Welfare Benefit?
Also, you may be eligible for some notional years for the pension calculation. What age are you now and what is the minimum retirement age for your scheme? I assume 60?
And how much is the actual salary that they are working on for the calculation? Are they insisting that the acting up allowance is not pensionable or is this still in dispute?
Is 26 years your total pensionable service?

To the best of my knowledge your TRR is calculated like your pension so you have 26 of the 40 to get paid ie 26/40 but as your not a HEO but acting up its your salary of your current grade that the calculation is done on , the acting up counts for allowance calculations only . So work out your TRR based on salary divided by 2 for pension and then you actually get 26/40 of that figure . Now do you have Income Protection taken out with Cornmarket ?? Here is a link , so input your Union and you can see your plan from there . https://www.cornmarket.ie/income-protection/
Thanks CorkHome22 I don't have income Protection unfortunately, so it's based on pre 95 and no social welfare payment applies

Pension rate would differ depending on whether you are Class A PRSI or modified rate (pre-1995). Which are you? Are you getting any Social Welfare Benefit?
Also, you may be eligible for some notional years for the pension calculation. What age are you now and what is the minimum retirement age for your scheme? I assume 60?
And how much is the actual salary that they are working on for the calculation? Are they insisting that the acting up allowance is not pensionable or is this still in dispute?
Is 26 years your total pensionable service?
Hi Early Riser, thanks for responding. I'm pre 95 so not eligible for a social welfare payment. I don't have income continuance. Minimum retirement age 60. Age 62 now. 45,000 is the Clerical calculation. Yes still in dispute re the Higher duty allowance of 26 years so unpensioned. I'm not sure about the notional years.

Hi Early Riser, thanks for responding. I'm pre 95 so not eligible for a social welfare payment. I don't have income continuance. Minimum retirement age 60. Age 62 now. 45,000 is the Clerical calculation. Yes still in dispute re the Higher duty allowance of 26 years so unpensioned. I'm not sure about the notional years.

Unfortunately I don't think you are eligible for any notional years as you have over 20 years service and you are past minimal (normal) retirement age.
I would have thought that pension rate pay is a straightforward calculation in your circumstances, ie, €45,000 *26/80 = €14,625. That is leaving aside the disputed higher duty allowance.
I seem to recall some reference to additional considerations for people on modified PRSI to take account of their non-eligibility for Social Welfare Benefit. I think it sets a floor for TRR - that it cannot fall below the rate that is paid by the DSP for Illness Benefit, or the relevant DSP Benefit.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think you are eligible for any notional years as you have over 20 years service and you are past minimal (normal) retirement age.
I would have thought that pension rate pay is a straightforward calculation in your circumstances, ie, €45,000 *26/80 = €14,625. That is leaving aside the disputed higher duty allowance.
I seem to recall some reference to additional considerations for people on modified PRSI to take account of their non-eligibility for Social Welfare Benefit. I think it sets a floor for TRR - that it cannot fall below the rate that is paid by the DSP for Illness Benefit, or the relevant DSP Benefit.
Thanks very much Early Riser, Yes I would have thought the 14, 625 but they have calculated 10, 800, not sure how they came up with that figure and I awaiting a response, which isnt forthcoming at the moment. Dsp illness benefit is 220 I think so they have calculated it as under that. I will look into that, thanks very much

Back