Trouble with BB connection on Laptop

IrishGunner

Hey

Friend has BB with Irish Broadband, they dont have a phone line so went with these guys I know they are brutal

Lately they cannot connect to the net and they were told it was their laptop a Dell Inspiron

took a lend of it to see if I could connect using my modem and got the below results

Connected modem up to laptop using a ethernet connection to a Bt voyager 2100 modem

Connection through WAN Miniport(pppoe) error 676 The remote computer did not respond

In the properties of the connection in the internet TCP/IP the protocols are ticked as obtain automatically

also ticked are Qos Packet scheduler & Intel wireless connection agent

Tried pinging 192.168.1.1 and go

Destination host unreachable

Also tried the wireless option and installed drivers and usb agent but no joy there either

So is it the Pc and if so any way to fix this or is it time for them to give Dell a call as this is where they bought the laptop ?

Cheers

took a lend of it to see if I could connect using my modem and got the below results
Took a lend of what? An Irish Broadband RipWave box perhaps? If so this may not work at addresses not proximate to the original user's address.

What Irish Broadband were saying is that it was a problem with the Laptop and not their box as they said they can see the signal

However friend could not log on

so I took the laptop and connected using wireless option with my account just to prove it was not the pc

Irish Broadband are fobbing her off and charging her for the use of it but she cannot connect to the net. Needs it for college and is not that PC literate so does not know the crap that Irish Broadband talk about

so I took the laptop and connected using wireless option with my account just to prove it was not the pc

Just to be sure, you borrowed your friends laptop, took it to where your wireless modem is and tried to connect to the internet from there (using wireless), but failed?

In that case, the fault may well be with the laptop and nothing to do with Irish BB.

If you did manage to successfully connect to your modem using the wireless card but not to your friends modem/device using a wired connection, then perhaps it is the wired connection at fault? Is there any information in teh device manager oir event logs? When you do connect using the wired connection, what information sor ipconfing from the command line give?

Hi

Yeah took just the laptop and tried to connect using wireless. Built in adapter so picked it up straight away tonight and worked perfectly

Not sure what Irish BB were saying to them but they were trying to convince them that it was the laptop and not their service ? However I can connect but I have a phone line

Anyone any experience with Irish Broadband could it be the modem in the box they were sent ?

Any ideas much appreciated

Thanks

Is it RipWave or Breeze? What, if anything, changed with the whole setup between when it worked and when it stopped?

You do know that the wireless broadband and the wireless access to a wireless LAN router are two largely separate things?

Have you checked the logs (for any device that has them) and ping/tracert results to see exactly what connectivity is available and where things stop working?

To be fair while it could be that IBB is fobbing them off it's also possible that they don't have enough detailed technical information to go on to give more informed advice (although they should really be trained to elicit this clearly I suppose).

Is it RipWave or Breeze? What, if anything, changed with the whole setup between when it worked and when it stopped?

Ripwave Dont think anything changed as they said they just tried to turn it on 1 day and no joy ??

You do know that the wireless broadband and the wireless access to a wireless LAN router are two largely separate things?

Yeah but just wanted to check the laptop was working ok

Have you checked the logs (for any device that has them) and ping/tracert results to see exactly what connectivity is available and where things stop working?

What will I tell them to do when I give their laptop back to them. Where and how can they get the logs ?

To be fair while it could be that IBB is fobbing them off it's also possible that they don't have enough detailed technical information to go on to give more informed advice (although they should really be trained to elicit this clearly I suppose).

What should my friend have before they ring irish broadband ? I am giving them back their laptop but what and how do they get any information that may prove usefull when they ring irish bb ?

Thanks

Ripwave Dont think anything changed as they said they just tried to turn it on 1 day and no joy ??
You said this earlier:
Lately they cannot connect to the net and they were told it was their laptop a Dell Inspiron
What will I tell them to do when I give their laptop back to them. Where and how can they get the logs ?
Depends on the specific devices (makes and models) in use. Windows Event Log on the laptop would be one place. Whatever (wireless?) LAN router they use should have some sort of browser based admin control panel. The wireless broadband "modem" box may have something similar.
What should my friend have before they ring irish broadband ? I am giving them back their laptop but what and how do they get any information that may prove usefull when they ring irish bb ?
Any log information outlined above and the results of ping/tracert tests. To be honest this is a tall order/gobbledygook for non technical users to they will probably need assistance.

Back