Trouble with a tenant and rent allowance

peteb, not exactly relevant at this stage but just curious. If a landlrod has a lease with a tennant for a year and after 6 months the said tennant becomes unemplayed and want to get rent allowance. Would the landlord not have to accept that? just wondering!

My personal view on this would be that they have proved themselves to be a reliable tennant, have hit on some hard times and i would be perfectly agreeable to go with the rent allowance. Its not so much of a risk as taking it from day one because you know have a relationship with the person and can make that call much more easily. And i would be fine woth it as long as they were up front with me from the start.

The reason I dont accept rent allowance up front anymore is that its too easy for the person to just mess you around and do untold damage and walk away without penalty. I prefer to negate this by getting tennants with a job and references and not someone who is depending on a third party to give them their rent and could say at any stage "Sorry, they wont give me rent allowance, tough." It has happened.

Having said that I sometimes do allow people on rent allowance upfront, but its purely down to if i like them, but i never advertise that i accept it.

Back