Trouble Playing games with Vista

Ash

We have Windows Vista on the home computer, bought last year. When the kids try to play some PC-CD games on it, it is causing awful problems, affecting the machine so much that the game or any other processes on the computer slow down so much as to be unworkable.
In trying to rectify the problem, the computer was reset to factory settings. Now it looks like the same will have to be done again.
Is this usual with Vista? Is there a list of PC CD games that WILL play on VIsta?
We notice that it isn't always clear on the games boxes whether they will play with Vista or just with 2000/ME/XP. Is it just pot luck whether games work with Vista or not?

I have had some problems too.

As far as I can tell the games think the laptop card is better than it is, similar to a laptop. As a result the "default settings for your machine" are way off. Try and manually turn down the graphics settings, switch off any power saving modes and don't use directx 10 settings. Will try the aero thing too myself.

One other thing I found was the driver updates for desktops do not apply for laptops. You normally have to go to the computer makers site to down load "special" ones. I am using a driver 6 months old on my Sony, however the desktop version has been updated since, nothing for the laptop yet...hmmm

In all it's not great, and whiffs of a bit of a con. However you should be able to play nearly all modern games on a good laptop..

Back