Trouble getting a mortgage - help needed

Merlin77

Hi there. Looking for some advice if anyone can offer some.

OK so, I have been divorced about a year now and have recently remarried. Myself and ex wife were separated 10 years. During this time we had some issues with our property as it was in negative equity. Long and short of it was she was living in house and mortgage wasn't paid for some time.
She has now done a deal with bank (KBC) to warehouse part of the debt and is paying a mortgage on the rest. She cant remove me from the mortgage as the bank wont allow her, but she has indemnified me from the debt as part of the divorce agreement. Still though if she defaulted, KBC could look for me to pay the outstanding.

Myself and new wife have been renting for last few years paying roughly 1000 a month. She is not working and stays at home to mind our children. I earn €90,000 per year.

We may not be able to rent much longer as our landlord is talking about moving back home and we would have to look for somewhere else. We cant move too far due to schools, work etc. We are also settled in the area. Rents currently for what we live in are around 1500 - 1600 per month. We are lucky that our landlord appreciates how well we look after house.

Anyway we were thinking of buying a house. We would have around €70,000 to put as a deposit and were looking to buy for around €250,000 if possible.

Because of credit rating issues and the fact that I am still named on the other house, I am finding it difficult to get a mortgage. I thought Pepper Money would take me on as LTV would be low so therefore less risk.
They haven't said no yet but I am fully expecting it after initial discussions.

Is there any other option? I will struggle to afford rents and want to buy a house. I have the means to do so.

I am sure their must be some other avenue that I can explore.

Advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a little worried about our long term future.

Not really, you already have a mortgage which is in default/restructured. You would be a very high risk for any lender.

The only way forward is if your wife sells the house and clears the mortgage. Then your ICB record would start to improve and you might get a mortgage after about 5 years.

Rents currently for what we live in are around 1500 - 1600 per month.

I will struggle to afford rents and want to buy a house.

I earn €90,000 per year.

We would have around €70,000

I don't understand that - if you earn €90k a year, you can comfortably afford rents of €2,000 a month.

€90k a year is not that much for a single income family with 2 kids. Take home roughly €4300 a month.
I pay €500 maintenance a month also.

Anyway what I can afford rent wise is not really the issue. I would like to get over this and get a mortgage again.

She won’t sell the house as it is in negative equity. Divorce agreement says it’s hers to do what she likes with. I have a better chance of her taking me off the mortgage by getting a mortgage in her own right. While she is only paying the warehouse part of the deal she is unlikely to do that though.

€90k a year is not that much for a single income family with 2 kids. Take home roughly €4300 a month.

upload_2017-10-18_9-26-29.png

You need to check your tax situation. You should be getting just over €5,000 a month net based on a salary of €90,000.

If you can't afford €1,500 a month rent, you are going to find it difficult to afford the mortgage repayments.

Brendan

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-18_9-24-36.png
    upload_2017-10-18_9-24-36.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 127
Thanks for that. Will look into tax situation. Obviously though there are pension payments being paid also so that accounts for some of the shortfall.

Why would I struggle to afford mortgage repayments. I am looking to borrow around €180k. Over 25 years this should be less than 1000 a month.

Pepper told me that using their standard figures I should be able to afford 1350 per month. Stress tested this goes to just over 1000 which equates to 210000 over 25 years.

This makes sense to me. They use standard calculator for outgoings based on single income family with 2 kids.

Back