Trespassing

ryan-neil

Hi,

I not sure if this belongs here or in the legal department, we have an issue with local youths accessing another estate through our apartment complex car park, the issue is that they removed the bolts from a section of steel railing to give themselves access or they climb onto the roof of sheds to get over. They are also verablly abuse to female residents who have challanged them.

What action can we legally take, we already have private property notices up. Can we legally detain on of them if they are caught damaging the fencing. We have cctv and video of several instances of the going this. If we paint the railings with security paint which will ruin their clothes are we responsible since they are already tresspassing. If they fell from the roof i assume we would be liable. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Neil

I was about to suggest a response consisting of a shotgun to the backsides of these scumbags, but I see you specifically said "What action can we legally take". Ah well.

Anyway, the scumbags probably can't read so the private property notices will not make any difference; chances are they are going to ignore those anyway.

Sounds like they've performed criminal damage on the fence. However you can't prove who actually did it. They can be caught for traspassing if the gardai are quick enough to get there, but chances are the gardai will do nothing with them and you'll just bring aggrevation on yourselves - they may start targeting cars in the block as "revenge".

And "detain them"? What planet are you on! Yeah try that and let me know what flowers you want sent to your hospital bed! :)

People have a duty of care to themselves. Can't imagine a judge blaming the owner if kids scramble up onto the roof without permission. However putting up a notice saying "danger" or something would help their case I would think (make sure to get pictures of the setup - roof showing danger sign etc.)

My suggestions are:
1) get the fence repaired and boost it up with barbed wire etc.; same with the sheds; Is it possible to plant thorny hedgerow?
2) get a private security company to patrol
3) See if the council can make an alternative path to whereever they are taking a shortcut to

Alternatively unless it's causing real problems, you may just have to grin and bear it...

[broken link removed] Have a read about these guys.I was going to use them on my premises in Finglas before I decided to get out of the place. If sensors are triggered they come online and view whats going on in real time and have load speakers to tell the intruders that they are being recorded and the police will be notified if they don't scarper ! Saw some examples and its a good laugh to see how effective it is:D Speakers and cams are positioned in inaccessible positions. Picture it ....THE MAN IN THE RED BASEBALL CAP YOU ARE BEING RECORDED AND POLICE ARE ON THE WAY ! ..(guy thinks god has appeared).. YEAH YOU ! get off the fence ! PRICELESS !

Picture it ....THE MAN IN THE RED BASEBALL CAP YOU ARE BEING RECORDED AND POLICE ARE ON THE WAY ! ..(guy thinks god has appeared).. YEAH YOU ! get off the fence ! PRICELESS !
I think being the guy on the microphone would be my dream job!

Back