trend following strategies

Shipman argues that trading is primarily a psychological challenge.

Once you devie your system you must stick to iy - regardless of big losses/gains !

really can't recommend his book highly enough.I've read and studied it a couple of times at this stage.

He is very much a long term trader as another poster said.
As in he could hold a position for a few years
E.g. He's been on gold for ages.

EddieT/qwertyuiop,

If its all the same I am gonna add you folks to my contacts list, I will let you know what works for me and what doesnt.

I think it is important to be around like minded individuals.

The goal has to be to make a good living from this, other people do, so no reason why we cant.

I think this is well worth doing. Support is something that we all need particularly when working alone on stuff like this.

With regard to your last point "a good living", I would hope so but only time will tell. Making money is my goal at the moment. If I could make more that I would do leaving it with a so called "investment company" I would be very please. Once i get over that hurdle I will revise my targets.

I would like to take these planned discussions off the public forum though.

Any idea how we do this?

EddieT

I have sent a private message to some of you guys with contact details, think the only way to take discussions off line is to use skype or msn, anyone else interested in keeping in touch with other fledging spread bettors, please PM me!

I am new to spread trading, and have found this thread interesting. I have just read Trend Following by Michael Covel, and way of the Turtle and after a few false starts am now trading positive.

The biggest problem I encounter is with stop losses being hit just before the start of a decent trend - Is this familiar to any of you??

Have any of you studied Vince Stanzione courses, would you recommend ?

I have just also read a book by Louis Navellier - the small book to make you rich. He also runs a website that grades shares with 10 different factors. I have followed a lot of these on paper and about 80% of them are showing positives. Has anyone else used this any comments

Rgds

Sounds like you are doing very well for someone who is new to SB Cavalray Trad. If you are trading positive then you are mostly there.

I dont want to keep harping on about this book and I swear I am not the author!! But there is a good section in the 'Financial Spread betting Handbook' by Malcolm Pryor on Stop losses - he discusses various techniques for placing stop losses.

Thanks for the book recommendations, I will add them to the list!

Haven't heard much about Vince Stanzione course? cant give you any thoughts on that I'm afraid. I note Shipmans course in Dublin is fully sold out.

Sorry meant to ask in that last post - does anybody know of any software that will automatically alert you to any stocks that meets your strategy criteria? i.e instead of trawling through the full FTSE 350 for say Weekly MA that is the highest of the last 40 weeks, is there any software that will allow you to input these parameters on a chosen market and then alert you to stock that meets this criteria?

I use ADVFN software and live data feeds, which allows you to select companies with 4 12 and 52 week breakouts either up or down if this any use. If you subscribe to level 1 this costs around 35pst per month.

Thks for the book recommendation, I will get this. Other books I have found useful are Market Wizards, and New Market wizards.

I am trying to now use a standard Stop Loss of 8%, but in this volatile market this is sometimes not enough except for the very large cap steady shares.

I am new to spread trading, and have found this thread interesting. I have just read Trend Following by Michael Covel, and way of the Turtle and after a few false starts am now trading positive.

The biggest problem I encounter is with stop losses being hit just before the start of a decent trend - Is this familiar to any of you??

Have any of you studied Vince Stanzione courses, would you recommend ?

I have just also read a book by Louis Navellier - the small book to make you rich. He also runs a website that grades shares with 10 different factors. I have followed a lot of these on paper and about 80% of them are showing positives. Has anyone else used this any comments

Rgds

If you check out one of my previous posts on this thread it sums up the whole vince stanzione message in 2 lines. It is those 2 lines which you are paying for in his course.
The bulk of his course is just explaining spreadbetting - i haven't traded hios strategy so i can't comment if it works or not.
I've decided to follow mark shipmas instead.

Vince stanzione is more for shorter term trades.

Ya - stop losses can be a problem.
Personally i don't use them though.

I think teh biggest challenge with spread trading is money management.
i.e. knowing how much to hold back for inevitable fluctuations,how much cash you are prepared to pump in for margin calls etc.

It really does depend on what you are investing in too I suppose.

If I analyse all my trades, I would have been better off without any fixed stop losses, however that then puts the onus to close a trade back onto the individual, and the psychological pressure of getting that call wrong could be worse.

Without stop losses would certainly stop being bombed out during wild intra day swings.

I have also succesfully challenged my broker on a SB deal, as I was stopped out at about 4% over the price that the share reached during intraday trading. He reinstated the bet at the stopped out price. Anyone else experienced this??

Sorry meant to ask in that last post - does anybody know of any software that will automatically alert you to any stocks that meets your strategy criteria? i.e instead of trawling through the full FTSE 350 for say Weekly MA that is the highest of the last 40 weeks, is there any software that will allow you to input these parameters on a chosen market and then alert you to stock that meets this criteria?

Chicote,

Equis particularly their End-of-Day product appears to among the top 3. I use this to create formulas which can then be run against the securities. The problem is that in European there are over 62,000 securities and the SBs only cover a small percentage. So you have to find a way of filtering the list so you don't end up with stocks that you can't bet on.

EddieT

Equis particularly their End-of-Day product appears to among the top 3. I use this to create formulas which can then be run against the securities. The problem is that in European there are over 62,000 securities and the SBs only cover a small percentage. So you have to find a way of filtering the list so you don't end up with stocks that you can't bet on.
From what i gather some SB companies have contracts on stocks over a certain market cap. For IG index i think it is 500m. If you can check this with your SB company then maybe you could just filter by market cap instead of having to add the list?

Hey Guys,
Just a side note on this conversation;

I don't trade FOREX although I have been to presentations by MTI (Market Traders Institute) who are reasonably well known in the states. The reason I went was because I have invested money in an investment club where one individual is trading for us using MTI's platform. He gets pretty good results and being sceptical I went to try and learn some more. I am Irish and living in Jamaica, where this guy is from. He's now living and trading in Turks and Caicos because he doesn't have a licence to trade on other peoples' behalf. Average monthly returns are 10% a month and I've been compounding my interest which has resulted in a doubling of my initial investment in over 7 months. The whole country of Jamaica has money in it and the banks are now gone to war with him as he has taken so much money out of their net. The government are in a tight position because he bank-rolled the currents governments recent election campaign but nobody is paying any tax on the profits that they are making. I have no doubt as well that crime gangs are laundering money through it as well.

The traders name is David Smith and his company is Olint. Google him or MTI and you might find some interesting reading. I have only made paper profits to date as I have not yet tried to withdraw any of it so it may yet end in tears.

I have set up demo accounts with MTI but do not have the time at present to study how to trade properly, instead relying on this individual. A friend who was here with me in Jamaica for a while did the training course in Kinsgton ($2500) over a couple of days and actually met DS. With that the course he gets a free subscription to MTI's platform and one on one advise from a trader. I'm not sure how successful he had been with it.

I've always wondered why there is little or no talk on AAM about forex as its all anyone here talks about, especially given the returns.

for any of you technical analysts here.

Look at the text book ghost (head and shoulders) on the eur/usd weekly.
Doesn't get much better than that....

Yeah the Olint website is really not helpful at all but if you googled it and David Smith then you may pick up some articles about the fund and returns. This website below may be of more use, I believe its the platform that he uses to trade on.

I have set up demo accounts but haven't really got started into it seriously. At the moment I have money invested in this Olint club and the returns are better than I can probably realise on my own anyway. My only issue is whether it is actually real, its not a front to launder drug money, and that I can actually get it back out again. Saying that at least 30% of the workforce in the company I work for in Jamaica are in it someway or another. There are also people selling houses and investing the entire amount in it with greed taking over their senses.

chicote,

interested in your post as i am a novice spread bettor for 2 months . i have heard of a trading system called elmtrader, further details can be found on their website www.elmtrader.co.uk.

I have read Malcolm Pryor's book but am interested in discussing strategies with others on this website and particularly if anyone could recommend trading software.

WHat is the story with malcolm pryors handbook to spreadbetting?

A lot of you seem to have read it.

WHat is the main theme of the book?
Presumably it outlines the basic mechanics of spreadbetting.

Does it recommend trend following?

If so,what are his buy and sell signals?

WHat is the story with malcolm pryors handbook to spreadbetting?

A lot of you seem to have read it.

WHat is the main theme of the book?
Presumably it outlines the basic mechanics of spreadbetting.

Does it recommend trend following?

If so,what are his buy and sell signals?

Have ordered it off amazon today as i cant seem to get it in the bookshops around Cork.
Read shipmans book and just building a knowledge base so i can get up and running. if any of you guys are starting a "shared knowledge" group, id appreciate it if you would include me.

Back