Key Post Trees

Re: Key Post: Trees

Any body know how to get rid of seven laylandi in a DIY sort of way
Or will it cost ,000 to take them down and remove debrie?
has any one tackled this them selfs or is it best to get a tree company?
they must be 20+years because the houses where built in 77.
any help on this matter (wood) be much appreciated

regards N

Just bought a Prunus Triloba in Dunnes Stores today and am wondering a) how wide/ tall will it grow, b) how wide the roots will grow, c) how far from house and water pipes do I need to plant it. It will be in a front garden which looks out to a busy main road and am mainly looking at it for privacy and as a noise buffer. Thanks for any advice.

Cutting hardwood trees is illegal! I found this out from a man that works for coillte in Enniskerry! No matter where the tree is or who's property it is permission must be granted for the tree to be removed! I remember there was a farmer who cut 3 trees in wicklow, he ended up replanting 300! So be careful!

im a tree surgeon and a forester......stay as far away as possible from leylandia. you wouldnt believe how much of these i have to cut and charge for.dont even be tempted to plant any!
good luck!

Just bought a Prunus Triloba in Dunnes Stores today and am wondering a) how wide/ tall will it grow, b) how wide the roots will grow, c) how far from house and water pipes do I need to plant it.

A quick Google throws up plenty of results, including [broken link removed].
Leo

Cutting hardwood trees is illegal! I found this out from a man that works for coillte in Enniskerry!

Not necessarily true. There are many situations where trees do not fall under this legislation (Section 37 of the Forestry Act, 1946), indeed all trees in a borough or urban situation are exepmt, as are all trees less 100 feet from a dwelling or temporary structure.

Even if the tree is not exempt, you simply apply for a felling licence from the Dept. of Agriculture and Food on (053) 60174. Objections are rare, and I'd imagine non-existent in the case of leylandii.
Leo

What price would one exptct to pay for a mature evergreen tree of about 12 ft. My neighbours are building behind me and I need some privacy.

I've seen the Ginko Biloba on sale in Griffens Garden Centre in Inniscarra, Cork. Was just browsing around and spotted it there.

What price would one exptct to pay for a mature evergreen tree of about 12 ft. My neighbours are building behind me and I need some privacy.

You could try SAP down in Cahir. They are huge company, you will see there vans doing lots of big landscaping jobs. They sell to retail customer. They had fabulous limetree (not evergreen) at Bloom, I cant recall how much it was. You should look at using Eucalyptus gunnii, pretty cheap for 2 to 3 metre specimen (€65 ish), should be available in local (Independent) Garden Centre. They will grow to 20 metres, a metre a year is not unusual, even in Ireland. They are evergreen and young branches are used by florists.

Last edited:

Hi Capperdown,

Make sure to top the trees and trim them every year otherwise they turn in to monsters. Even after 1 year top - this makes them spread out into a bush and trim sides also.

Angela59,

do not get leylandi trees under any circumstances. The sap will blow on to your house and your neighbours and will stain your walls - first a dark green and then black. The sap even 'infects' plaster. You'll be picking up the bill.

Hi Sfag,

I've had them for 15 years keep them maintained - don't know what your're talking about - sap blowing on to house - haven't noticed anything on plasterwork!

Angela59

do not get leylandi trees under any circumstances. The sap will blow on to your house and your neighbours and will stain your walls - first a dark green and then black. The sap even 'infects' plaster. You'll be picking up the bill.

Tell me more about this "sap".

My dad has them around his house about 40 feet away - from the house.
The trees grow very tall. The roots spread out very shallowly.

The sap blows on the white walls of his house. Makes the house look very dirty. The dark green stains turns black.
Perhaps all trees blow sap but as these are extremly bushy and tall growers it may be the case that these types of trees are worse offenders.

I've had ordinary trees beside my house and houses with ivy an never encountered sap staining.

The house has to be painted regularly. Too big a job to remove all the trees.

I've heard from another chap with these trees that his plaster got 'infected' and the dark stains spreads into the plaster like a disease. - his description.

Take what you will from that.

Take what you will from that.

I take it you are talking about pollen not sap.

Pollen, the yellow often dust produced by the male part of the flowering tree.

Sap, the fluid that travels through the tissues of the tree.

Back