Other Travel Insurance sold by AA

trojan

Today and recent days much discussion on Joe Duffy Show about the difficulties a family endured trying to make a claim under travel insurance. Point was made that because of the high reputation enjoyed by AA people felt no undue problems would arise in event of a claim. It is only when a claim is made some people realise that AA will have to deal with some Insurance Company who will call the shots so to speak. Is there anyway one can ascertain how reasonable Insurance companies are when dealing with claims. The agents selling their products usually convey a friendly cosy image but when the day you have to claim your experience can be different

AA are brokers. Most travel insurance is sold through brokers/agents. It is vitally important to be honest with insurer when taking out the policy. If you are honest, then the claim will be paid. Insurance is for misfortune and not certainty. Some people take out travel insurance to cover medical expenses, but might not disclose that they are on medication/awaiting tests and/or test results etc. If you later have a medical claim, it might not be dealt with as the insurer was not given the correct information.

cancellation cover or emergency repatriation is another that causes problems. If you have a relative (as described in the Policy) who is ill and you do not mention that, then in the event of that person dying, you might not be covered.

travel, home, motor - they are all the same - you must disclose anythhing and everything that might affect the underwriting of the policy.

AA are brokers. Most travel insurance is sold through brokers/agents. It is vitally important to be honest with insurer when taking out the policy. If you are honest, then the claim will be paid. Insurance is for misfortune and not certainty. Some people take out travel insurance to cover medical expenses, but might not disclose that they are on medication/awaiting tests and/or test results etc. If you later have a medical claim, it might not be dealt with as the insurer was not given the correct information.

cancellation cover or emergency repatriation is another that causes problems. If you have a relative (as described in the Policy) who is ill and you do not mention that, then in the event of that person dying, you might not be covered.

travel, home, motor - they are all the same - you must disclose anythhing and everything that might affect the underwriting of the policy.
Dear Ravima... Did you hear the discussion on the Joe Duffy show?

I heard it all too. I could see what the insurance company were looking for re alcohol or pre existing conditions etc, trouble was family needed to get body back. Realistically it looks like if one were in that position you would have to pay upfront yourself for the repatriation and hope to recoup later. The family thought the insurers would pay for the repatriation pretty promptly whereas that didn't happen.

The oddest bit was that an Australian insurance investigator flew from China to Ireland to interview the witnesses to the incident, that must have cost a fair penny!

He was travelling to Europe for other reasons according to the AA representative on Liveline on Tuesday. Not specifically for the case being discussed.

Dear Ravima... Did you hear the discussion on the Joe Duffy show?
No, I did not.

I understood your initial posting was to ascertain the reasonableness of insurers dealing with travel claims. My posting was in response to that. I was not aware that it related to a tragic death until I read Sahd's posting a few minutes ago.

No, I did not.

I understood your initial posting was to ascertain the reasonableness of insurers dealing with travel claims. My posting was in response to that. I was not aware that it related to a tragic death until I read Sahd's posting a few minutes ago.

It doesn't make a difference. The terms and conditions are such so that one rule applies to all, regardless of the tragicness of circumstances.. Had the person have just injured themselves and it was as a result of being drunk the policy wouldn't pay to repatriate them home.

As with any policy you should always read the t and c's.

Back