Other Travel insurance accidentally bought twice. Can you claim on both?

landlord

I accidentally bought travel insurance twice with 2 different companies....I know Stupid!!!!
We had to get the doctor out to the hotel a couple of times whilst on holiday for a child with an ear infection.
Both companies have an excess however the cost of the doctor and antibiotics exceeds this excess.
Without spending hours reading the terms and conditions is there anything obvious preventing me from claiming on both policies?

AFAIK you can only make a claim on one insurance policy, making the same claim on the second policy would be I think insurance fraud

You can only claim once. If one policy doesn't cover it, you can claim off the other, but you cannot duplicate a claim.

If both policies are capable of operating in respect of the same loss the principle of contribution might apply.
In that situation both insurers would pay their proportion of the loss but always on the basis of providing an overall indemnity only - as distinct from a double indemnity.

If you claim under one policy only those insurers would be entitled to explore the issue of contribution with other insurers who may also cover the loss.

Some insurance contracts exclude contribution if there is another insurance contract in place that would pick up a claim.
If two policies that might cover the loss have such a condition the exclusions should cancel each other mutually and call the policies back in to play.

There are a number of rules that cover the principle of contribution which has been knocking around since the late 1870s (the King and Queen Granarys case). The insurance bods will know the rules to be applied to decide if contribution operates.

P.S. If the insurer from whom you claim asks if there is any other insurer that might cover the loss you need to answer that correctly.

If both policies are capable of operating in respect of the same loss the principle of contribution might apply.
In that situation both insurers would pay their proportion of the loss but always on the basis of providing an overall indemnity only - as distinct from a double indemnity.

If you claim under one policy only those insurers would be entitled to explore the issue of contribution with other insurers who may also cover the loss.

Some insurance contracts exclude contribution if there is another insurance contract in place that would pick up a claim.
If two policies that might cover the loss have such a condition the exclusions should cancel each other mutually and call the policies back in to play.

There are a number of rules that cover the principle of contribution which has been knocking around since the late 1870s (the King and Queen Granarys case). The insurance bods will know the rules to be applied to decide if contribution operates.

P.S. If the insurer from whom you claim asks if there is any other insurer that might cover the loss you need to answer that correctly.

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately my mistake has turned out to be a nightmare. I had initially registered a claim over the phone with both insurers, but after all the feedback here have cancelled the claim with the insurer with the higher excess.
I have posted the paperwork to the insurer with the lower excess, however I assumed as I cancelled the first claim, I wouldn’t have to mention anything about a second insurer.

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately my mistake has turned out to be a nightmare. I had initially registered a claim over the phone with both insurers, but after all the feedback here have cancelled the claim with the insurer with the higher excess.
I have posted the paperwork to the insurer with the lower excess, however I assumed as I cancelled the first claim, I wouldn’t have to mention anything about a second insurer.

Don't panic.

Talk to both insurers and tell them that as an ordinary consumer you are hopelessly entangled and confused in the technicalities of the policy wordings and could they please guide you as to what to do procedurally.

Also, pain in the face as it might be, read both insurance contracts first to see what they say. In particular, look out for any condition in one policy - but not the other - that excludes a claim if there is another insurance in place. Ultimately, it should be the insurers who sort it out for you but be careful as there are some nitwits out there when it comes to contractual interpretation :confused:

Back