Travel Insurance 32 days+

horusd

I have travel cover with ACE insurance who advise, (despite me having being with them for yrs claims-free) that I cannot avail of cover over 30 days. I have private health insurance who cover me anyway (provided I'm not abroad for more than 6 mths) but I wanted to get general cover ( for the usual stuff) and I have some pre-existing conditions which are all stable, and I really don't want to have to jump thru hoops for cover - any suggestions?

Most travel insurance seems to have a 30 day trip limitation, and the only way to cover in excess of this is to take out a "backpacker" type policy for the period of your trip , this will be more expensive.

If you are taking a short haul trip it might even be cheaper to book the cheapest flight home after 29 days, and a return flight out the same day or very soon thereafter . Some people I know would only purchase the "return" flight and say the trip started that day . It would , of course be better for legal reasons, to book, and travel, on both flights.

With a long haul trip the "backpacker" type policy should work out cheaper.

I got 60 day coverage from VHI multi trip aged 68 two years ago. Check VHI site.

Thanks everyone I happened across justcover.ie and got an annual multi-trip worldwide which allows up to 45 days for just under €40.00 I have l medical cover with Laya overseas so don't need that. The interesting thing about the justcover.ie exclusions was the following " ....If the answer to any of these questions is 'Yes', a loss arising directly or indirectly from the condition in question is not covered under this policy." This followed a series of medical questions, and what's striking is that cover seems only to be excluded if a claim relates to the particular condition(s) and doesn't appear to invalidate the whole contract. Good to know, as I have fairly minor health issues that I don't want to jump thru hoops for to get any insurance at all.

Interesting that justcover.ie offer different maximum trip duration depending on what PMI provider / policy you're on. They only do up to 31 days for any Aviva plan for example. Must be related to the terms of the underling PMI.

Well spotted Leo, it must relate to the medical benefits overseas with Aviva. I see they will do up to 90 days with both Laya and VHI.

I organised 3 month cover for my mother aged 68 with getcover.ie. it was just under 89 euro. She has Aviva health insurance

Good to know, as I have fairly minor health issues that I don't want to jump thru hoops for to get any insurance at all.

If you have a preexisting condition and fail to disclose it, even if not asked. It is very likely that it will invalidate the policy.

Back