Travel and liability insurance - Ireland-based worker - Belgian Company

Alonzo Mosely

Hi all,
Sorry if I am in the wrong forum.

I am based in Ireland but work full time for a Belgium based company. My salary is paid through an Irish payroll company. My company has an insurance policy in Belgium for work place liability covering Belgium-based employees. Would such a policy cover me in Ireland as a remote worker? Also, I have some business trips coming up and VHI informed me that I can take out multi-trip insurance to cover me for those trips. However, let's say I went to Cork on a business trip, would it be covered under multi-trip travel insurance or is that only for foreign trips? Sorry if this is not very clear.

Thanks in advance!

My company has an insurance policy in Belgium for work place liability covering Belgium-based employees. Would such a policy cover me in Ireland as a remote worker?
My immediate response is an emphatic "No". But no-one really knows without looking at the T&Cs in the policy document. You need to see the document.

However, let's say I went to Cork on a business trip, would it be covered under multi-trip travel insurance or is that only for foreign trips?
Same answer. What are VHI selling you at a detailed level? Did you ask them the question?

Thanks for the feedback mathepac. VHI are offering multi-trip travel insurance. They confirmed that it covers domestic business trips provided one night of accommodation is booked and paid for in advance. I will follow up with my employers on the workplace liability.

I will follow up with my employers on the workplace liability.
Ask them about their policy on work related travel also. Where I've worked the employers have always covered unexpected issues for staff who are travelling on their behalf.

Belgium doesn't operate with employers liability policies. They have workers compensation policies. Different kettle of fish. You'd need to know if it extended to Ireland.

Back