Transportation Voucher

Ash

After communication with American Airlines, they sent a "transportation voucher which "may be used toward the purchase of a ticket on American..." There is no dollar or euro value given on the voucher.
Has anyone ever had or used a transportation voucher? How much is it likely to be for? Can I use it online to find out without actually booking another flight? Annoyingly, AA's emails come from a no-reply source.

Ash,

We got something similar from Aer Lingus last year, it said that we MUST ring the aer lingus booking line to use the voucher. So after paying an extra 10 euro or so for the hassle of trying to explain the flights we wanted to book over the phone (when it was much easier on the internet), we found that the fare on the phone was also 30 euro more expensive than the internet (when queried, the operator said that the "fares on the phone are not available on the internet"). Anyhow, to cut a long story short, we were looking at 30 euro extra per person, a total of 60 euro more expensive than the internet. The voucher was worth 220.

To cap it all off, all the phone operator wanted was our email address, she asked us to send the voucher in with the email confirmation which she would send to us - i.e. we could have done it online all along! In the end they issued the refund by cheque about a month later.

So the moral is beware when redeeming those vouchers!

Bootdog,
Thanks for the cautionary words. I always had a feeling the transportation voucher wouldn't be as simple as it looks at face value. Also, in my case, the voucher is only of any value if I travel American Airlines within 12 months. As far as I know they only fly to/from Chicago and the liklihood of me making that trip in that time frame is very low. In effect, the voucher is worthless. And it wont cost AA a penny either.
Excellent advice Bootdog.

Back