Transferwise open a Borderless account

Gervan

I've used Transferwise several times over the years, to convert currencies from one of my banks to another, and always been very satisfied.
Now they are proposing something near to a multi-currency account, which sounds very interesting.

https://transferwise.com/borderless?source=publicNavbar

I thought there might be a best current account thread I could add on to, but couldn't find it. And actually, perhaps this is slightly different from a current account.

Hi Gervan

It looks interesting but the website is terrible.

I can't find out what it does or what the fees are.

Brendan

From what I read there are no costs for holding the accounts as such, just small fees when a the account holder exchanges one currency for another. It says account holders get a proper IBAN account number for each currency, so if you had clients they could pay you in dollars, say, then you can get a very good exchange rate to convert to sterling or whichever currency is best for you.
I shall open an account, then I'll know more

I thought there might be a best current account thread I could add on to, but couldn't find it. And actually, perhaps this is slightly different from a current account.

It is not a current account product in the sense that current accounts offer direct debit, standing order and card services.

I can't find out what it does or what the fees are.

The fees are here and here.

Seems to be a service that offers a GBP, EUR and USD account which then makes FX transfers easier as you have accounts in multiple currencies.

So, at the moment I have a sterling current account and a euro current account. I get some income in sterling and have some payments in sterling.

But I have a debit card in sterling which is useful.

I occasionally make payments between the accounts. Would this be of any advantage to me?

Brendan

They might be simple, but I still don't understand them.

It seems to be 0.5% to convert currency.

But there seems to be a lot of other fees e.g. for receiving lodgement.
upload_2017-5-24_19-56-47.png

You have to keep following links to find all the fees. It must be easier to present than this.

upload_2017-5-24_19-58-47.png

Brendan

I have AUD$ in an account here and and NZ$ in NZ because I have family there I visit.
I was hoping for bank accounts in those currencies which would make my transfers easier, but that option doesn't exist yet.
This will let me open a STG bank account in UK, and Euro bank account in Germany, with an IBAN specific to me, which is of some use. At the moment if I want to convert euro to STG I have to transfer the euro to a Transferwise account, so I will cut out that step.
It says I can hold the AUD$ in "my account" but that is not a bank account. Presumably it can wait there till the exchange rate meets my approval?
Further experimentation required.

Back