Transferring US shares to spouse to avail of CGT allowance

Cicobr

I have US shares all in my name for which I have paid all relevant PAYE etc when I received them from a US multinational.
Each year I use my €1270 allowance by selling a portion of my holding to make a gain.
I would like to transfer 50% of them to my spouse and hopefully use her €1270 allowance.
Does there need to be some kind of official legal transfer to do this ...has anyone ever done this as I found it difficult to find out anything on the internet about it.
And am I correct is saying that when I figure out how to do the transfer that I will be able to use two 1270 gains per annum.

Thank you. I had seen that article and transferring Irish shares would be easy enough to do as it says.However my question is about transferring US shares and if anyone has actually done a transfer it and if they needed to do some kind of legal document to move into joint names.

Sorry to open an old thread, I have a related question

In the thread linked above it states...
"spouses jointly hold any asset including shares the proceeds will be split on disposal. Therefore, it is not necessary to hold them separately."

My understanding is that I can transfer shares to my wife, without any tax liability arising.

What would be far easier to manage is if I could change my share account into a joint account with my wife. If I do this, can we avail of 2x 1270 exemptions on the shares I currently hold, splitting any gains between us?

Back