transferring music to ipod

wjc

Hi
A friend of mine gave me her ipod to transfer my song library onto her ipod. When I tried to do this itunes would not let me as it said my friends ipod was synched to another itunes library. Any way around this?

It's illegal if the music is subject to a copyright and you don't own a license.

Many ways to do it, doubt you'll get a discussion on it here.

Obviously if the copyright holder has given you permission to copy over their music, then look for software on www.download.com.

I can't remember the name offhand, but search for ipod and you will be presented with several freeware and shareware software products.

How will WinAmp get around AAC DRMlocking of tracks to a particular player? If it can then presumably it's totally illegal?

I have two teenagers in my house and most of their and their friends music collections seem to be unptotected m4a/mp3 files which are aquired via copying Cds, Limewire or from copying off other peoples iPods etc (This can be done by unhiding files & copying from guest iPod). Winamp can be useful in certain circumstances to reveal track titles and to get over other limitations & copying restrictions imposed by iTunes. However I know it will not get over restrictions on certain files e.g. m4p. However there are other ways way of doing this ( e.g Playing iPod into mic socket with a small loss of quality).

Yes, there appears to be a huge amount of music videos on YouTube falling through the 'analog hole', judging by the varying sound(&video) quality and volume. You cant really blame people for availing of this free music and indeed young people are bombarded with adverts for gadgets like iPods and mobile phones which come with software to enable copying and file conversion. A lot of teens also have bebo webpages which can host uploaded videos.

Hi
A friend of mine gave me her ipod to transfer my song library onto her ipod. When I tried to do this itunes would not let me as it said my friends ipod was synched to another itunes library. Any way around this?

Unless you have access to your friends original MP3's on a seperate hard file its a waste of time. If you try and repatriate from one ipod to another the sound is so crap. Ipod is the hardest device to get around on this issue and they are successful on it too. Digitial download songs have certficates on them that only allow 3 transfers etc. Album purchases are cheaper and are easier to manage transfers onto other devices.

I have what would appear to be a simpler but simelar problem and would appreciate help as well.
The only thing that I loaded on to my iPod to date has been a French language course.
Last week I decided to also add some meditation CDs so I transferred them to my I tunes library and when I went to pass them on to the iPod it told me that this iPod is alreadt synched to another library (I presume that they mean the french) and that if I change it to this then I will loose the original.
It seems that if I want the cds then I will loose the French.

iPod folders can be backed up by going to my Computer tools/folder options/view and allowing hidden files to be shown. Then plug in iPod, close off iTunes if it opens and click into drive E (usually) and find folders F00-F09. Copy & Paste these folders onto computer hard drive (new folder).This method can be used to copy any entire Ipod music collection onto any computer. Add files to WinAmp library & music (unprotected only) can be dragged into any iPod.
I have always worked around all problems with iTunes using this and Winamp.
However there is more than one way to skin a cat & some people have recommend a programme called sharepod [broken link removed] or http://www.softpedia.com/get/IPOD-TOOLS/Other-IPOD-tools-Updates/SharePod.shtml as an alternative solution.

when you connect your i-pod with the i-tunes program open you are presented with a summary screen for your i-pod.Tick the box "manually manage music and videos" That stops any automatic synchronisation between i-pod and the i-tunes library.

Unless you have access to your friends original MP3's on a seperate hard file its a waste of time. If you try and repatriate from one ipod to another the sound is so crap. Ipod is the hardest device to get around on this issue and they are successful on it too. Digitial download songs have certficates on them that only allow 3 transfers etc. Album purchases are cheaper and are easier to manage transfers onto other devices.

Michael, just curious - would you like to clarify why the sound would be crap, if you use either the manual method posted below or one of the utilities to copy iPod MP3s back onto your hard drive?

Or are you referring to the analogue connection hole (covered below)?

Apple probably don't support moving libraries from an iPod to your PC/Mac directly as they feel it will encourage music sharing and that people will sell their second hand iPods full with music etc.

Note that Apple now allow you to recover iTunes Store purchases that are on your iPod but have got lost or are no longer in your iTunes music library.

There are probably not that many "legitimate" reasons why someone would lose access to their "master" iTunes music library (without a backup) and need to get the files back from their iPod.

However, the software solutions mentioned above will work reasonably well in this case.

In terms of iTunes Store downloads and DRM, not that the entire EMI catalogue is available at higher bitrate and DRM-free, hopefully, this will become the norm. Note also that it is not Apple who insist on DRM but the music companies themselves.

Finally, when you say "album purchases are easy to manage", what do you mean? If you mean CDs purchased, then I agree.

Back