Transferring music from iphone to new laptop

ericsson

Appologies if this has been asked before but I am completely computer illiterate and find itunes incredibly complicated!

About a month or two I got a new iphone and hooked it upto my computer which automatically uploaded all the songs which had already been on my itunes from my old ipod... now my old computer has decided to die on me and I have a new laptop. I downloaded itunes to my new laptop and connected my iphone but i cant seem to get the songs that are currently on my iphone onto itunes on my new laptop... i have done numerous searches on here but cant seem to find an answer... im afraid to mess around too much with my itunes incase i lose the music currently on my iphone.

Anyone have any ideas how I can go about this?

Thanks in advance
Ericsson :)

First, you must authorise your new computer before connecting your new iPhone. To do this, open iTunes, from the 'Store' menu choose 'Authorise Computer'. Follow the dialogues and enter your Apple ID and password, then click the 'Authorise' button.

Next, connect your iPhone to your computer. On the dialogue which then appears, click 'Transfer Purchases'. Do not click 'Erase and Sync' because this erases the content currently on your iPhone.

The process of transferring content to a new computer is explained clearly here; [broken link removed].

With iTunes, you can authorise up to five computers (because of copyright imposed by the content producers). Due to the way your first iTunes library was lost, you now will have just four authorisations left, so be careful!. Don't forget to de-authorise a computer (again, through iTunes) before disposing of it. Be sure to create separate backups of all data on your new computer and you will not have this problem again.

Thanks a million iwill I am going to try it later and will let u know how I get on, just wondering I still have the old computer and managed after about 2 hours to get it turned on last night but I think it's full of virus' as it's sooooo slow! Should I somehow try to disable or cancel iTunes from this if I can get it back on again? If so how do I go about this? Thanks for all your help, this site is brilliant :)

ericsson; If you can de-authorise the old computer, do so by opening iTunes, and in the 'store' menu choose 'De-authorsse This Computer'. If it's not possible to de-authorise it, there's no need to worry about it; just let dead computers lie in peace.

iWill just one more quick question will this only transfer the music that i bought from the itunes store and if so do you know how I would transfer the rest of the music, i have lots from cd's which i suppose i could load again but there are an awful lot if you know a quicker way i would be really really greatful.

Thanks again,
Ericsson :)

The method described to you earlier will transfer content purchased from iTunes Store only. All other content will not be transferred.

When you have successfully transferred your iTunes content to your computer, and then choosing to sync your iPhone with iTunes will erase this other content.

Unfortunately, I know of no way to circumvent this. There are several sites 'out there' which purport to do this for you but beware, and tread carefully. I found such a site; http://lifehacker.com/394046/copy-music-from-your-iphone-or-ipod-to-your-computer-for-free. Because I have never used the services these sites claim to offer, be aware I accept no responsibility for loss of content on your devices, and post this link solely as a means of allowing you to determine a sensible and safe solution.

As I mentioned earlier today, the only certain way of guaranteeing the integrity of your iTunes library is to create secure backups.

So is there anyway of transferring your Itunes library from either an old laptop / Iphone /Ipod onto a new laptop? Have about 10,000 songs and all from cds - I really can't put them all on again.

Find the i tunes folder on the old computer using windows explorer and copy the entire folder on to a flash drive. Then copy the contents from the flash drive to the i tunes folder on your new laptop. Open i tunes go to file,add folder to library,browse to the i tunes folder and all the music will be imported to your library.

Back