Transferring money from Ireland to France

Mike313

Hi, I am resident in the UK and have a share in a piece of property being sold in Ireland. I have a plan to buy a small property in France in a year or two so I am trying to figure out where to hold the money from the sale in the meantime. I should add that I have no experience of this sort of thing.
If I transfer it to my UK account I will pay charges and then pay charges again when I transfer it to France. I obviously want to minimise the costs involved in getting the money eventually to France, so this seems like a bad idea.
My thoughts were to open a non-resident account (BOI or AIB maybe?) in Ireland and hold the money there 'til I need to transfer it to France, thinking that transferring directly between EU euro currency countries would be better.
Can anyone advise? I am completely ignorant and inexperienced in these matters so any help will be much appreciated.

I know I transfer money from one EU country to Ireland and vice versa regularly at zero cost. So an account in the BofI (I'm with Ulster) seems like your best bet. I know nothing of non resident accounts, I just have my old Irish accounts from when I left.

If you intend to spend the proceeds of the house (which will be in EUR) on EUR expenditure then you should keep your savings in EUR.

Might be simplest to open a EUR account in the UK (easily done) if that is where you are resident.

It is easy to transfer money to a French bank account. You just need the IBAN.

Back