Transfer of service for redundancy

sole

MY employer is to cease business. I have been with him for 15 years. He is offering similar employment with a new employer. If I accept this offer does my 15 years service get transferred to the new employer. I am concerned that the new employer may go under within a year or so and that my redundancy then would only be based on the short time I was with the new one.

This should be covered as part of the transfer of business under legislation on transfer of undertakings but check it out with dept of enterprise to be on the safe side.

if the business is ceasing due to financial difficulties and staff are being made redundant then you may have an entitlement to redundancy and to take up the new job. a lot will depend on your employers role within the new company/business i.e. is it him setting up a new business or is he getting a job in a new business and there is an opportunity for you.
I expect you should either transfer your 15 years or get redundancy - one or the other.

also, if the employer is unable to pay the redundancy for bond fide reasons (no funds etc) then the state may pick up the tab for the redundancy amounts.

it is an important time and a very important matter so make sure you get the correct legal, tax and dept of enterprise advice.

Back