Transfer Large Amount of £Stg to €

Cashman

Guys,

Am asking on behalf of my Uncle - He has just sold his home in Northern Ireland & is moving "down south". After paying all outstanding costs he will have a substantial amount of Sterling Pounds left.

Naturally, he will need this money in Euro to live on. However he seems to being given a poor rate from his "local banks" - being informed that its a bad time as the rates are low etc etc.

Has anyone got any suggestions as where to go for a good rate or alternatively what to do in this situation.

Many thanks
Cashman

If you are talking about exchange rates as opposed to interest rates, you may be able to negotiate reduced commission with individual branches if you shop around.

Exchange rates are largely determined by the market-only the commission is variable.

Another possible solution is to take a view that exchange rates will improve, i.e. sterling will strengthen vs. the euro and hold off until it reaches a rate that you are happy with (crystal ball territory).

I think that there have been currency conversion services mentioned here in the past, but I don't know anything about them.

Hi Ccovich,

Many thanks for the very quick reply...... I am sorry I should have been more clear - yes it's exchange rates he is interested in - need to max the amount of Euros for the fixed amount of Sterling.....it's expensive to live up here in west Donegal (as you well know!!)

I've tried a search for the currency conversation services you mentioned in your post - but I cannot find any mention of them - can anyone point me in the right direction please

Thanks
Cashman

Hi, I'm about to make a similar transaction - found this previous post.
I have the blurb from www.caxtonfx.com, but haven't opened an account yet, so can't comment on ease of use, etc.

Marie said:
There is an article on this in yesterday's Money Guardian discussing the huge variation in charges. I am assuming it works both ways (euro to sterling and sterling to euro). If you use a high street bank it can cost as much as £40 to transfer £10,000 to a bank account in France, or in some cases both receiving and sending banks hit the customer with a charge.

new entrants into the market now undercut the banks. They don't apply 'transfer' charges and offer better exchange rates. 'The cheapest alternative currently undercuts the most expensive bank by more than £250 on a £10,000 transfer. Someone swapping £100,000 to buy a house abroad should save at least £3,000 by switching the transfer away from the high street'.

They tested all the banks and financial providers on the cost of transfer of £10,000 from the UK into a Euro bank account.

Most of the big banks and building societies offer a range of ways to transfer. These include an International Cheque (cost £10 to £15) which you just send to the foreign bank. There is also the electronic transfer and they researched the cost of these.

HSBC offered the worst rate (Euro 1.40. Travelex was the overall best value. Of the big banks First Direct (ironically, owned by HSBC)offered the highest number of Euros. Lloyds TSB had the highest charge at £30. Halifax was lowest at £17. HSBC also charged £10 to transfer within their own banking group.

Some banks in Europe charge to RECEIVE electronic transfers, usually Euro 10 - 15.

The piece of research found most people would be better off using one of the 'alternative' companies to move money abroad. Travelex came out top with the best deal. to use them, the customer must set up an account and bring proof of identity (by post or e-mail) and once set up transfer can be done on the phone.

To move money, ring their call centre and agree the 'deal' rate. Once it has your money (cheque, electronic transfer or faster payment) it moves the money directly into the foreign account which you nominate at the outset.

Travelex says there are no charges payable from th receiving bank. It also provides for those sending large sums (e.g. to buy a house) to pre-buy their currency for sending (and paying for) at a later date.

Caxton FX undercuts high-street rates but only exchanges sums greater than value £6,000. It offers =very competitive exchange rates and no fees. During the Guardian test it offered a Euro rate of 1.452 and promised a better rate on transfers of more than £20,000.

For speed, Worldwide Currencies could transmit the money to a French bank account the following afternoon in 99% of cases.

The article points out that people are sometimes worried to hand over money to little-known firms. Caxton said all money is 'kept in client accounts until the moment of transfer' and they offer potential clients contact details for the company's bankers to assure themselves of Caxton's financial stability.

The article concludes with a reference to Moneybookers for transfer within the Eurozone and from sterling to Euro. This works in the same way as Paypal but is very cost-effective for transfer of smaller sums with no charges applied by the receiving bank.

The Bank of England will announce its rate decision tomorrow at midday. This will have an effect on the exchange rate.

Many thanks Guys,

I have just looked at the site mentioned in the above post by Kitm....it does look impressive.

However, has anyone here on AAM actually had any experiences of dealing with them?

Any other recommendations out there?

Thanks

Cashman

There are two related issues here :

(1) The movement of exchange rates in general between STG£ and €. I think that this is unpredictable in practice, for the purpose of this question. Your uncle may have his own views on this - but I would find it difficult to make any predictions.
As I mentioned in a previous reply to someone else, if he wants to fix a specific rate for a point in the future this is possible (at a cost) - and can be arranged via his bank.
You can get a good indication of the current exchange rate here

(2) The other and highly relevant one is the actual exchange rate a bank will give you on a particular and what the associated charges will be. This will vary from bank to bank.

I think the best strategy is to ring a number of the main banks (possibly in Dublin) and get them to quote a commercial rate - as you should always get for larger amounts of money. They will then get a quotation from one of their Foreiggn Exchange dealers. Check how long this quote will be valid for - it is unlikely to last for more than a day. Check the actual amount (net of any charges) he will get 'into his hand' and this will give you an accurate basis for comparison.

They should also quote you the amount to do the actual transfer of funds.

I can't name any particular 'best buy' here, as they will all vary from time to time.

Hi,
Just to follow-up on using Caxton fx for a sterling to euro exchange.
- Opening account fairly straightforward. After completing application form and sending requested ID, they called to say that they were having trouble establishing my identity, and requested an certified copy of a bank statement. All OK, but if you're in a hurry, might be wise to call them first about ID.
- I spent so long dithering about opening the account that I lost out on the exchange rate. The ECB raising interest rate apparently hit sterling. I won't pretend to understand why.
- I booked a deal, and have sent the cash to their account. Once the deal is booked, you have 3/4 days for your cleared funds to be available in their account. I was moving from a sterling account, and this required a trip to Belfast to request a CHAPS transfer (charge of stg£25 by First Trust). A 'normal' electronic transfer, or BACS transfer, is not recommended as it takes longer for the funds to clear. If I was doing this again, I'd try and transfer the money to them in advance, to avoid the CHAPS transfer and charge. (Even taking this charge into account, the whole transaction better value than the rates I was quoted by banks. Although this would depend on amount exchanged, etc).
- The exchanged funds are due mid-week, so fingers crossed the rest of it goes smoothly ....

Back