Transfer house from sole to joint ownership with spouse (no mortgage)

tkc

Can I do this myself or do I need to engage a solicitor. This is our principal private residence.
I understand a Deed of Transfer of Ownership needs to be completed, presented to the Revenue Commissioners to have it adjudged exempt from the payment of stamp duty, and then be lodged with the relevant Registration of Ownership Authority for registration.
Is this a straightforward process, has anyone done it, or would it be more sensible to pay an expert?
Thanks.

A voluntary conveyance between spouses in consideration of natural love and affection is a relatively straightforward matter in terms of the Deed itself and registration.

However, I’d go to a Solicitor as there may be some prerequisites that you might be unaware of - the Deed may have to be drafted in a particular way e.g. with certain recitals so as to avail of stamp duty exemption. The Solicitor may need to do searches against the property to ensure no burdens or judgements on title. Also, afaik, when a conveyance is occurring without monetary consideration, it’s important that the parties get independent legal advice to protect the transaction against challenge down the line e.g. you want to be in a position to sell the property without any title issues arising. You don’t want a prospective purchaser’s Solicitor in the future looking at the title deeds and identifying some unthought-of-issue that may prevent the sale, just because you did a dyi job. A lot to be said for peace of mind.

Back