Transborder Workers Relief - PRSI

Keggers

Hi

I worked in the UK for the UK subsidiary of an Irish business for 7 months last year. As I was commuting weekly, I understand that I qualify for Transborder Workers Relief. From running through the tests, I don't qualify for being UK tax resident during the period and remained Irish tax resident. I have since left the company and was back working in Ireland in November 18 for a different employer.

However, now that I've gone to do my Irish tax return for last year (online via ROS), while it is applying the relief to my tax, it is charging me PRSI on my UK income. I've already paid National Insurance on this, but get no credit for this.

From a bit of searching, I'm wondering if I should have completed a form A1 before I started in the UK, but (i) I don't fit neatly in to any of the scenarios it says it is applicable to; and (ii) I've now finished the role and left the company.

I understand I am meant to only be liable for social insurance in one EU country at a time.

Grateful for any guidance as to whether there is another way around having to pay the PRSI (or even claiming back the National Insurance) on the UK Income. Not sure if I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks

For the benefit of anyone else coming across this problem, I've spoken to someone at the Revenue Helpline. They say that the PRSI isn't actually due on the UK income on which National Insurance has been paid, but that the Form 11 on ROS isn't sophisticated enough to handle this. They made a note on my file and asked me to use Column B of the IT Self Assessment tab to disagree with the assessed PRSI (adjusting for the PRSI on the UK income), and someone from the Revenue will then correct the amount owed after the Form 11 has been lodged. Happy with that.

Thanks for posting that - exactly the situation I am in and couldn't find info on this anywhere - except your answer. Thanks

Thanks, exactly the same problem I'm facing and hoping that this got sorted for you in the end.

Back