Transborder Relief on Part-time Employment

TBorder

I live in the Republic and work 3 days a week for a company located south of the border and travel 2 days a week to work for a different company North of the border. I pay tax on my northern earnings to the inland revenue.

Does anyone know whether I can claim transborder relief on the northern portion of the income given that it is part-time and not my main employment?

Thanks.

As I understand it you must declare your UK income on your tax return to Revenue. And that is taxable in the South.

You can deduct any tax paid to the inland revenue from your tax due in the South, but any remaining amount must be paid over.

If the amount of UK tax exceeds the amount that would be due in the South, I don't know if you can get a credit against tax due on your other income in the South

Thanks for reply. All you say is clear, but do you know if I can claim transborder relief on the northern income when declaring it to the Revenue.

Thanks Ann1. I've checked the documents which say nothing on situation where individual has employment income both north and south. Has anyone come across this type of case and successfully claimed transborder relief?

There's nothing in the legislation to prevent claimimg the relief where there is more than one source of income. The relief is actually calculated by reference to the foreign income and total income, ie non-foreign.

Back