Transactonline service down.

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
Transactonline service down

Anyone else experiencing difficulties using [broken link removed]service?

Have been trying to order and pay for items since the week-end and no joy. Their automated e-mail reply says they are experiencing difficulties and will get back but its dragging on a bit at this stage.

Have noticed that Transactonline service has become quite erratic and just wondering if www.aib.ie/webshopping is a better option. Anyone any experience of using this facility instead? Does anyone know what the main difference is and if one has any greater security measures over the other.

Thanks.

Sue Ellen said:
Have noticed that Transactonline service has become quite erratic and just wondering if www.aib.ie/webshopping is a better option. Anyone any experience of using this facility instead? Does anyone know what the main difference is and if one has any greater security measures over the other.

Thanks.

I used it a couple of weeks ago while booking a holiday. The site I was using automatically asked me to setup an account so I had a quick look at the AIB website just to make sure that it was official! I needed to have my credit card statement to hand as I had to enter my credit limit as part of the registration process. All fairly painless and next time all I'll need is my password.

I think the difference is that unlike Transactionline it doesn't rely on the customer to take the initiative! No idea on the relative security measures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to declare an interest upfront ... a few years ago I worked on the development of the product which was installed in AIB as transactonline.

I noticed also as of the time of the OP that the service was very erratic, indeed it seemed to stay that way until about a month ago. I've not had a problem since, and I'd use the service pretty much every time I shop online.

The main differences between Transactonline and "Web Shopping" would be as follows:

1) Transactonline: [broken link removed]
This basically gives you a computer program with which you can generate one-off substitute credit card numbers for use online or in any "card not present" type transaction. You generate the number up to a specified limit. That number is then valid for ONE transaction up to the limit you specified at the time you generated it.

The benefit here is that, having been used, the number is of no use to anyone else who might get their hands on it. You haven't given out your "real" credit card number, just a one-off pseudo random substitute number. Also, it could prevent being charged too much by mistake (if you set the limit appropriately for your transaction)

The substitute number is recognised by the bank when the transaction settles, and ultimately the transaction gets charged back to your regular credit card.

2) Webshopping (or Verified by Visa)
The difference here is that you do use your regular credit card number to buy online. At or about the time you check out your purchases, you are asked to authenticate yourself, presumably with a user/password combo (I have not used it myself).

The idea here is that you have to prove you are who say you are at the time of purchase. If your card is stolen, it would be less likely that your password etc. information would have been compromised at the same time.

However, Verified by Visa does require that the merchant has signed up to the programme and presumably has made changes to their website to allow it to work. It looks like you can get a list at this address:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/visa_security_program/vbv/shop.html

It therefore would be of little protection anywhere else, online or off!

Hope that helps.

Hello Paul

Thanks for taking the time to explain it in detail. Your post is a great help in helping me to understand the workings of the two systems. I think I will stick with the transactonline service as it seems more secure. Normally I don't have much trouble with it myself but the kids have to pay for forums regularly and it is erratic. It takes the payments on occasions and out of the blue rejects them also!

I was very annoyed with it at Christmas because I went to order some long awaited perfume and it was on special offer with a free gift. The system was down so I decided to leave it till the next day and try again. When I tried then all the perfume and special offer was gone and it has not been available since :mad: Had waited months to treat myself.

Appreciate your help.

Back