"Traffic Blues" TV on RTE: Lady prov licence, 5 kids not strapped in.

to the ones who genuinely hold very odd and completely indefensible views...

Only odd and indefensible to you.

I think we need people of all thought waves to speak their piece then we all learn something, lets face facts if we were all saying the same things life would get real boring....real fast.

If you have 5 kids and a car with two seatbelts in the rear how are you supposed to transport the? Assuming the driver has no money to buy a people carrier, there is no public transport, no school bus and school/shops are 20km away?

Who are so many of you obsessed with unmarked garda cars?

Caveat, motoring offence to murder, what a leap.

I don't know what planet you are all on, no garda is going to bring a women and 5 kids to a station for a motoring offence. I can just hear Joe Duffy now.

The car shows a tax disc but not an insurance cert. This is the norm for a Garda unmarked car. That's always the thing to watch for in your rear view mirror. There is only one aerial visible from the shot as opposed to the normal 3 so that is inconclusive. The lack of insurance is evidence enough for me that it is certainly a government car of some sort.
Thanks - now I get it. So who's going to report this matter to the Commissioner?

I don't know what planet you are all on, no garda is going to bring a women and 5 kids to a station for a motoring offence. I can just hear Joe Duffy now.
And that's what counts, is it ? Joe bleedin Duffy and his callers on soapboxes decrying the downfall of society ?

Prov licence - Offence
Not insured as a result of above - Offence
Overloaded - Offence
Reversing down a dual carraigeway - Offence

And she drives away!!!
She should have been left on the side of the road, IMO. Let her get her own way home. Impound the car until a fully insured/licences driver picks it up.

No wonder our fatalities are so high on roads.

A couple of weeks ago, they showed a young lad in Donegal in a car with NI plates, prov licence, no licenced driver on board, no tax, (no insurance by virtue of all the previous) and steam pouring out from the power-steering reservoir (incorrectly described by the guard as 'smoke'). He let the guy go ! No points, no fine, just a slap on the wrists of having to attend some ridiculous first steps programme. Considering the guy fit the demographic, and drove the type of car, of boy racer, especially in Donegal, I was stunned that he let him go.

That show is making a mockery of the guards and it appears to set a precedent whereby major offences are treated lightly in order to avoid paperwork but get the fine anyway.

If you have 5 kids and a car with two seatbelts in the rear how are you supposed to transport the? Assuming the driver has no money to buy a people carrier, there is no public transport, no school bus and school/shops are 20km away?

There always has to be a better way. Just because that way might be inconvenient doesn't mean that you can break the law. If this woman (who clearly wasn't an experienced driver) had had to break suddenly one or more of those children would probably have gone through the windscreen.

Who are so many of you obsessed with unmarked garda cars?

This thread got dragged off in a different direction regarding the unmarked cars. I don't really get why people care which cars are unmarked Garda cars. Okay, so this woman who is being charged with making up false stories was almost certainly whisked away by an unmarked car - so what? In relation to wasting taxpayers money this a very minor issue - there are far worse things going on. She clearly has some serious issues and I think the Guards are trying to deal with as best they can.

I remember as a child my mother driving the lot of us home from school round a lovely steep bend, two of us in the front seat, about 5 or 6 in the back, door opened on the passenger side, banger type car, you know the type, no proper lights, bumper tied with bail twine and when it rained you had to get out to wipe the rain off, or try and peer though the rain, luckily she drove at a dangerously low speed so us two kids dusted our selves off, climbed back it and were killed for not closing the door properly ! As for seatbelts I don't believe there was one in the car.

I'm glad some people on here are not Garda never mind judges. We are after all talking about a motoring offence.

I remember as a child my mother driving the lot of us home from school round a lovely steep bend, two of us in the front seat, about 5 or 6 in the back, door opened on the passenger side, banger type car, you know the type, no proper lights, bumper tied with bail twine and when it rained you had to get out to wipe the rain off, or try and peer though the rain, luckily she drove at a dangerously low speed so us two kids dusted our selves off, climbed back it and were killed for not closing the door properly ! As for seatbelts I don't believe there was one in the car.

I get what you're saying here - I'm from a very large family and have loads of stories like this. We fought over who got to sit between the two front seats on a car journey - the losers might have to travel in the seatwell. Babysitters were for posh people - we were locked into a room if my mother had to go to the shop while my Dad was at work. No such thing as sunscreen - we burnt regularly.
I can look back now and laugh but we were lucky that no serious accidents ever happened. Times have changed and I wouldn't be happy if any of my nieces or nephews were put in positions like this. I hope the woman in question has learnt her lesson and will take her childrens safety more seriously from now on.

Back