Traditional banking alternative to avoid charges?


Registered User
My student account is due to expire and this will come with fees. My education has been extended beyond the original 4 years and I could make a case to my bank again to extend the term of my student account but this took considerable effort the last time.

I have modest savings in my bank and my credit union, and I am learning more about bitcoin and the Celcius Network and I have been considering these alternatives for my savings, so it has occurred to me perhaps there is an alternative for my day to day banking that I could use to avoid fees?

From memory at least one traditional bank here offers few or no charges if you have an income of several thousand per month but although I have an income, as a student it is very modest.

Revolut comes to mind as an option but I heard before that it is not insured by the ECB so risky, although if the account is used for just day to day expenses and paying bills with any savings stored elsewhere that would be a very limited risk. I also heard that there is a service similar to Revolut that is insured but I do not know what it is called. I do have a current account with my credit union and they do offer a Visa Debit card which is something I will need.

What is the best option?


Frequent Poster
Have a look at the current account best buys thread, under the Best Buys section. EBS money manager account is completely free with no conditions.


Registered User
EBS internet banking is in my short experience quite poor, no app, difficulty logging in, difficulty in setting up a payee etc.


Registered User
Please dont put all your savings in Bitcoin. Its a fun way to gamble some money, not a secure way to store your savings

Paul M.

Registered User
I also heard that there is a service similar to Revolut that is insured but I do not know what it is called.
You are probably thinking of N26, it has a German banking license so is covered by the German Federal Bank's deposit protection scheme. Monese has an e-money license rather than a banking license so isn't covered.