trading in v selling private

tomthumb

Been driving for years and always traded in old car to get newer one, never sold it privately. Could anyone give me an idea or an example, as several people say I'm a fool not to sell private and buy new one with cash in hand? Is there really a huge difference and how much really?

I usually sell privately where possible. Definitely cash to be saved but depends on the value of the car you are selling. Be prepared for some hassle & time-wasting from tyre kickers. If you have access to another car on loan after you sell privately, it's the way to go. Walking in to buy with Cash in Hand is a great advantage.

As long as you are looking to buy a car that is not scarce new having no trade-in makes dealing easier for the garage as it takes all the risk out of the transaction for them. Go in at a quiet time of the week and haggle hard when the salesman can give you his undivided attention.

Thanks to you both. Thing I always wondered about if you sell privately and they want to test drive your car, is it messy being sure they hold insurance to drive it? Would I end up with a couple of burley guys sitting in my lovely old car ready for off and me chasing them for an insurance cert? Lol!!!

Back