Tradesmen / Unsatisfactory Service

Eve001

:confused: Been building a house, utter nightmare. Got a contractor to do the septic tank and groundworks. We gave him a list of the work we wanted done and asked for quote. He could never say definitively what the costs would be despite our constant asking. He would ask for round sums and was paid. At end June he asked for a further 6k then when we met he asked for 9k saying it was payment in full. We paid and then discovered a lot of issues, things undone and unsafe. Spent 2 months calling him and being given excuses or not answered.He came back for about a half day to fix some of his poor work. He waited 6 weeks and then contacted us for 6k more. He's looking to charge for about 70 hours of digging time and lots of stone. He simply didn't do that time nor was the stone supplied but we have no proof. He's sent us a solicitors letter demanding money. We've been through hell with trademen. We really don't need this but can't pay for what we didn't get and worse for things done wrong. Any wisdom to offer ??? Anyone please ....

It might be no harm to get a engineer to do a snag of the work done and he also would have a good isdea of what was used and what was not.

We had to get someone to sort some of the things he's left undone which were dangerous, contrary to planning etc. to get our engineer to sign off that the house was complete for the bank and allow us to move in. The work is no longer as the original guy left it. Couldn't have open manholes with small kids around. Couldn't get electricity connected with a duct with no pull cord. When we asked him to do that he told us to do it ourselves that he couldn't be guessing what ESB wanted. Couldn't be confirmed compliant with planning when his idea of a drain to deal with run off on the main road was to build a little mount of clay on top rather than put in coripipe. He'd come recommended but he just wasn't as good or experienced as he'd been painted.

Sounds like this guy was a right chancer!!. I am an electrical engineer myself and any builder worth his salt would have known that you have to have a pull cord in the ducting for the ESB. Did you receive a electrical completion certificate for the wiring?

Hey Eve, been through something similar myself. Two things to say. (1) I think you most certainly should go to your solicitor about this immediately, if you have not already done so. (2) And definitely don't pay that contractor one more cent unless your solicitor advises it.

It is so much harder to get justice / fair play for yourself if you have already handed over money compared to keeping the money until the work is satisfactorily completed.

These disputes can be quite slow to resolve, but with good legal advice things should work out for you. Best of luck.

Back