Tradesmen.ie - plumber broke washing machine

toni_mrphy

Hi All

My friend had an issue with her washing machine — it made a funny noise when spinning( noise aside it was working perfectly well ) .
She post the job on tradesmen.Ie and received one response .

They guy arrived saturday morning he started up the spin cycle heard the noise nodded knowingly and advised her he knew what to was .
3 hours later the washing machine is all over her kitchen- her freshly painted wall scraped and he advises his is not sure of the issue — "might be the drum" .

She asked him just to reassemble the washing machine and leave it as he found it which he did ( took an hour ) and she paid him €80 euro;s

After cleaning up the mess she put on a load of washing and the machine did not work — " door locked " sign was flashing though the door was indeed locked .
She txt the guy and he advised he would come back sunday morning and take a look .
He arrived promptly and fixed the flashing light she asked if he would stay while she put on a load …. Just in case.

Lucky she did cause when she started up the washing machine it immediately started to leak water — lots of it .
He said it was easily fixed he had " some glue " to fix it ,forward two hours kitchen flooded , a tile with a crack , the above mentioned scratched wall and still a leaky washing machine& a few screws lying around the floor , she assumes from the washing machine — it seems the drum was " broken "

She was extremely upset at this stage and asked the guy to leave ( also asked for her €80 back which she received ) .

Rightly or wrongly she then went and bough a new washing machine for €450 which she can illl afford.
She has bought more paint for the wall & is just going to leave the tile.

My question is ( though I fear I already know the answer ) can she get any sort of compensation from tradesmen.ie or indeed the guy that messed everything up?
Thanks

On the tradesmen.ie website there is a FAQ section. One of the questions is 'what do I do if things go wrong'. Has she been in touch with the site yet?

Yes she sent them a message through their website detailing what happened . They have sent her email on to the other guy for his response .,

I had a problem with a guy who came out to do some work in my apartment. He responded to my add on www.tradesmen.ie. Needed a set of taps and a shower head fitted over bath. Two guys came out. One was the 'plumber' and the other was the guy who had responded to the add.

Three hours later (after they had left) I realised that there was water coming up from under the saddleboard outside the bathroom (which has a tiled floor). Anyhow the guy came back a few hours later after numerous phone calls and brought with him what he called 'a real plumber'. I asked him who the other guy was and he said he was 'just a guy that does plumbing'.

Real plumber fixed the problem. They promised a refund for the inconvenience and it was not forthcoming after about a month. So I told them I would be posting an accurate review of their work on the website. They got very upset and said I was threatening them. They also said that at no point did I specify that I wanted a qualified plumber. Given the website is called www.tradesmen.ie, I assumed that was what I was getting. I found the website owners fairly useless but I posted the poor review which to me was actually more important than the refund.

The 'guy that does plumbing' appeared about four months later at a party I was at. That day he was the DJ.

Lauren your story just about sums them up I think .
Tradesmen.ie wrote back to my friend asking for photographs of teh marked wall & cracked tile.

She is going to send them on but not sure it will do any good .

Back