Trade Mark?

lozza

Hi

recently set up a website and got logo etc done. Have just been contacted by someone who owns the .com address and although they have not yet launched their website their logo is nearly identical to mine.

They have trademark registered the business name and logo and have contacted me looking for details on any registration I have. I have nothing as I never thought I would have to...What can I do is it too late to trademark register my business name and logo as it is so similar to theirs?

They are based in USA but have informed me that they will be shipping internationally....

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Maybe play a game of reverse psychology. If you think you may be open to being sued, etc.etc. so they might just be thinking the same as well.

Before I go back to them should I try to trademark my logo?

Have done a lot more research since posting earlier and spoken with the girl who designed my logo, she did it end of 2006 and i have all the e-mail etc going back re the development of the logo. The people with the .com address only got pics etc done last week of their logo and it looks to be a blatant copy of mine. i am so p***** with this but I don't know if I have any legal ownership or do they??

Have a look at a couple of articles on my website http://www.businessandlegal.ie
I have an article on the law relating to 1)trade marks 2)domain names and 3)internet law and doing business online.
In fact I am giving away a free downloadable pdf mini book on 'Doing Business Online' but there is an additional section,not included in the book,on Domain Name law.
In fact I recommend that when you register a domain name you should also register your domain name as a trade mark(yes there is an article on 'business names' as well) so even if they can do you on the trade mark,and the strength of their case is unascertainable from the info. to hand,you can still register your domain name as a trade mark

Thank you for that very informative reading. I have contacted a company that deals directly in trademarks and hopefully they won't be able to get away with it!

thanks again for your help!

Back