Trade in refused ?

D

damodai

Hi ,
I went into a dealer last week looking at a new skoda octavia 1.6 TDI . I was looking to trade in a 07 avensis 1.6 strata petrol still in warranty (I intended to pay the balance in cash). The guy had a look at the trade in , but said he could'nt take it as they had a glut of Avensis which would have to be cleared. He took my details and said he would be in contact . I can't decide if that was a load of rubbish or not. I'm leaning towards thinking its rubbish ,as he did'nt offer a test drive.
Anybody have any opinions about this ?

Damian

No dealer has to accept a trade-in. Whether to accept a particular car, and the price at which to accept it, is entirely at his or her discretion.

Every dealer wants to sell new cars.

Putting those two facts together, I am sure that the dealer had a good reason for declining to take your car, and the only good reason I can think of is the one he gave you -- an overstock of Avensis or similar cars.

I know that a dealer does'nt have'nt to take my car.

Essentially I'm wondering if my trade in just rubbish . Is it worth trying other dealers ? I live in the west and travelling to dealers could take up a lot of time ,especially if I just get the same brush off.

Obviously if there is no interest in my Toyota as trade in , then I should try to do a private sale and just import from Northern Ireland.

If you have any possibility of selling your own then you will not beat this option but private buyers are also choosy with the wide selection on offer, not to mention also importing.

Is it worth trying other dealers ? I live in the west and travelling to dealers could take up a lot of time ,especially if I just get the same brush off.

You could just try ringing a few of them first. We found most dealers were happy to give us a ball-park figure over the phone of what they'd offer us as trade in when we were buying our new car. You'll know by their reaction if this is going to be a problem across the board before you make any wasted journeys.

or you could just keep your nearly new under warranty avensis. Why rush to change. You'll save a packet....

Trading in Toyotas with their recall cloud hanging over them...good luck!
People are gonna think danger if they are not clued in and following the actual problem, which will be the majoroty of people I'm thinking

Wow, one of the least desirable cars going. A big underpowerd saloon on the old tax. Slow and inefficient. You might get a 10K trade in but then you will miss out on a few K as a cash buyer so really only getting 8K. What did you pay for it back in 2007?

Back