Tracker Mortgage?

H

hopefully

Hi All,

I was on for advice last week regarding our debt situation and got some sound advice.

Currently we are with TSB on a fixed rated for 5.1%, so I rang them to find out information about tracker mortgages (not thinking I could come out of fixed), they told me that we wouldnt be able to come out from fixed and change banks without a penalty but they would let us change within the bank to a tracker rate of 4.9% on our mortgage this will save us about €60 a month, My question is, is it worth doing or should I just stick with the fixed rate im on???

Thanking you in advance!!

Get it in writing that no fixed rate term breakage penalties will apply if you do switch. Whether or not it's a good idea to switch really depends and there are lots of existing threads on the whole fixed versus variable/tracker question already that might be worth reviewing. If you are not under pressure with your mortgage repayments and would not be if rates rose by a few percent then I reckon that switching to tracker would be a good idea.

All the indicators point to a levelling off of interest rates, with most lenders now REDUCING their 3 and 5 year fixed rates. This is indicating a positive medium term outlook. As per clubman's advice, you need to calculate your comfort zone and make your decision accordingly.

Back