Tracker mortgage protest Jan 2018

MrBanks

OK guys, let's come together and pencil a date into the schedule for a protest outside Central bank and/or govt buildings. Peaceful protest.

I think we all need to decide a cut off point /date when if we are all not in receipt of :
Redress where applicable,
Correct tracker rate,
Not deemed impacted when all evidence supports the fact you should be... etc

Then we should hit the streets. If we can't take a class action let's exercise our democratic right to peaceful protest. Any suggestions on dates?

December - totally wrong month. Attendance would be miniscule. Also government have been told by banks that most people will have been notified by end Dec.

Wednesday 10th/17th January far better dates. Competing with very little, so max publicity, end Dec deadline for banks will have passed, so there'll be a valid reason for protest.

Dec 8th is a Fri - worst day of the week for a protest, Christmas (and the stress of it) a couple of weeks away. Banks could simply say "we're working towards the agreed timeline" Turnout would be tiny.

Plan it for 17th Jan. They'll be plenty of noise after the end year deadline. If banks meet deadline, call it off. Likely they'll miss, thus national publicity and press will.get behind the protest - mid jan is nearly as bad as August for stories to fill pages and press wil jump on anything

Agree, it has to be after latest time constraint banks have been allotted by our dilligent public representatives... If no update from bank, count me in Jan 18

January best. As far as I know CB before finance committee on january. Might be good to hold protest then.

Jan 2018 it is. If we can enough people we should do a protest. If not, I would suggest groups of people going into each bank HO with signs stating "tracker victim, waiting 9yrs" etc etc. Refuse to leave until you receive specific case clarification. Record the visit/interaction. Post it online. Multiple groups going into each offending bank, same time same day. Put it up on social. Contact national media etc.

Last edited:
Dec 8th is the train strike date
January makes more sense but remember the Dail does not sit at the weekends, nor the CB work, so while it is better for numbers you are protesting to an empty building.
I think Jan would be better as the deadlines given would be passed and the point more effectively made.

Agree with Peemac Wednesday Jan 17th
Would recommend
1. We identify someone with experience to volunteer to coordinate as otherwise could be slow process.
2. See if we can get members of Finance Committee or Padraic to speak at protest.

Brendan could you see this as an extension of your campaign?

Many thanks,
BW

i will definitely be there At this stage, it's our only option.. we need to make a lot of noise & let the banks know, we're not going anywhere..

How about asking finance commitee to help arrange it....... or a political party i.e sinn fein, i am all for it but would need good organising, huge advertising and media...... and large numbers in attendance

Back