Tow-away company damaged my car

mister mac

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone might have some advice or found themselves in the same situation.
My girlfriend obstructed a gateway yesterway when she parked my jeep.when she came back,jeep gone,after a few phone calls to a garda friend located it in a car impound.It was closed at this stage so had to go and collect it this morning.Paid a 125euro Euro fine at garda station and went to the impound with the receipt.
When i got there i quizzed them how they got it onto the truck,got very ignorant answers like"dunno I didnt take it in" "the fella that did isnt here now" .I then explained that the jeep was an automatic and was left in park and also that it was a permanent all wheel drive and that if they dragged it up onto the truck they could have damaged it,the guy looked a bit sheepish but his boss interupted and said well we use skates for putting it on the truck.
I had a look at it and it seemed ok,so i headed off. after a few miles i noticed that it seemed very rocky and that it was jumping violently on even the slightest bump.so drove it to a mechanics beside work to have it checked,just going in the gate when i heard a loud bang,he had a look and the back shock was in bits and the underside of the wheelarch was shattered. He said that they had obviously bent the shock and it snapped going in his gate.
So i rang the garda station to speak to the Guard who had dealt with it yesterday but she wasnt around until monday so I rang the towing company and the boss as good as told me to take a hike that they didnt break it that it was like that when they took it in,that they tow cars not break them and that I could call whoever I like that he couldn’t care less.
The thing is I only had my NCT 2 weeks ago and it was fine,and I know it was fine cos i had drove it 2 days previously
Its blatently obvious that they caused the damage but now it seems that Il have to fork out about 500 euro because of their "I dont care attitude"

Im so annoyed and dont know what to do now

Talk to your girfriend as well. I mean what was she doing obstructing a driveway and leaving the vehicle.

Rgds
Billo

Billo,
she only obstructed a skip lorry from reversing into the driveway,she didnt obstruct it enough to stop a car getting in or out and she wasnt parked on any yellow lines.

Billo,
she only obstructed a skip lorry from reversing into the driveway,she didnt obstruct it enough to stop a car getting in or out and she wasnt parked on any yellow lines.

I can't believe you said that Misterr Mac

Rgds
Billo

It's a difficult one. If you could prove that the damage was done by the towing company you would have no difficulty in succeeding. However if they are adamant they did not cause the damage it will be more difficult. If it were me I'd take a case against them- in the small claims court- so you don't have too much to lose in terms of costs if you lose.

I can't believe you said that Misterr Mac

Rgds
Billo

Oh Billo I can unfortunately. I live beside a 500 space car park and even when its half empty people still block my drive and give me dogs abuse if I ask them to move. If the car is there longer than an hour I now call the Garda to give them a ticket if they're available. The fine is €60, anybody know how I can get them towed away?

Back