Total Expense Ratio for Irish unit funds - Quinn Euro Freeway

Just a note, I had made an error in my original calculations (i had counted days to sep 2013 and not sep 2012, which has a different result on the annual rate of return). The correct figures are slightly worse for QL, but still very good.

I have edited my post above to have the correct info, but I will also repost it here for simplicity.

Total Index Return -15.438%, Annualised return -2.581%
QL total return -21.972%, Annualised return -3.795

The QL fund over this date range underperformed the index by about 1.2% per year in total. We can imagine an etf with a tracking cost of .2% and a quinn AMC on top of 1%.

Gents,

Have any of your attempted to check the effective AMC for these funds since they passed to Irish Life.

I tried to compare their fund performances against the underlying indices for the period Jan 2013 - Jan 2014 (Irish Life statement dates) but the results are not very consistent.

For example, according to my results, the Biotech fund under-performed the Nasdaq Biotech index by 1.1% and the AMC is 1.2% - very good.

But, Irish fund over-performed the ISEQ Overall Index by 2.1% when the AMC is 1%. 3.1% adrift?

Any insights?

Regards,

3CC

Where did you manage to get all the data necessary to perform the calculation in the first place? If you are just going from public data then being of a couple of percent out would not be surprising!

I receive a statement from them each January. I just calculated the change in unit price(s) between the Jan 2013 and Jan 2014 statements and then compared this with the change in price in the underlying fund which is available online.

For funds tracking indices which are denominated in a foreign currency, I applied the exchange rate on the day in question to the index prices and before calculating the above.

For this reason, I expected the funds which are tracking indices denominated in foreign currencies to have a higher tracking error due to the extra step involved but the opposite was the case!

I realise this is an old thread - but it is still the same question - what is TER/tracking error for the Euro fund (but since Irish Life took over)

Based on the https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/quinn-life-funds-irish-life.174479/#post-1325811 The Euro fund now tracks a different index.

3cc (in reply to your 4 year old question!) - I think it could be anticipated that different funds could have vastly different tracking errors. It all depends on how each fund is doing their tracking, and what their costs looks like.

Back