Top tips on solar panel installation

Mikefromcork

Hi All
I don’t have solar panels and a close relative is getting them installed. I wasn’t involved in the research or quotes as this was completely by a friend of hers whose not available now during the install. She’s elderly and she’s asked me to be there for the installation as she’s not tech savvy. I don’t have them but I am fairly clued in. Just wondering can anyone suggest items to look out for during the install ie take a pic of the roof prior to install to ensure no damage. Any tips or hints would be appreciated.
Thanks
Michael

Hello Michael,

I take it this is deal done, with an order placed.

As a starting point, confirm what exactly has been contracted, and what deposit has been paid.

There should be a detailed illustration / report / quote, illustrating likely number of panels, positioning of same etc.

If you could post details of the various items being supplied (i.e. how many panels, is there an inverter, an eddie, a car charger, a battery etc.), incl makes and models, that will help people give you a more detailed response.

Is she eligible for a SEAI grant, and if so, is approval in place, and the installer on the SEAI's approved list? This is really important to get right, before the job starts. See here: https://www.seai.ie/

Echo what the previous poster said. Installation of the panels to the roof is easy, couple of hrs work at most. it is the wiring up of everything else internally that takes that bit longer

Make sure that the installers show you how to use any apps that you need on your phone to monitor/control your install.

Also make sure that they show you how to configure the wifi connection/passwords etc on your inverter/eddi - because when your wifi drops or you get a new router or change the router password, you'll have to update.

Its worth checking if the installers will require a fusebox upgrade before install - happened to me and it was an unforeseen cost.

See if they can fit bird blockers to avoid nests under the panels. Check if she has an old meter, that will be flagged for an upgrade very quickly by ESB networks!

Seemingly, old, spinning disc, meters run backwards when the panels are generating energy, which is a good thing! So if she has one of those, then she could consider putting a new meter on the long finger.
That’s true. I know someone with that setup. Electrician who installed panels said hold on to that meter for as long as possible

Do your best to photograph the roof inside and out in case of damage, also review immediately once done if you're not there to supervise at the time. If they use the correct brackets tile cutting should be minimal and all tiles sitting flush. Check that the cables enter the roof neatly via a gland and not just pushed under a tile and the felt ripped. Also that cabling is neat and well secured on the roof and internally. Confirm you are happy with where they plan to install the inverter and how they will route cables e.g. surface mount, surface mount in trunking or behind partitions etc. With decent feed in tariff now holding onto the meter isn't as valuable as it once was and if you refuse the smart meter you may be refused deemed export.

Don't allow the inverter or batteries to be installed in the attic -- its recently been banned in the UK because its unsafe and really inconvenient

We have a 'fireman's switch' in the attic which I did not know about prior. The inverter and battery are in a d st room off hall. Battery is redundant as we still have the spinning backwards meter. Our app set up is not right but impossible to get them to come back. I would pay someone now to give it the once over and set us right.

Mention to the workers about not leaving any debris such as cut tiles/slates, bits of steel framework etc in the gutters. It's inevitable that this debris will slide down, just make sure that they remove it afterwards.

Don't allow the inverter or batteries to be installed in the attic -- its recently been banned in the UK because its unsafe and really inconvenient
There have been 0 reported fires due to house batteries or inverters in attics in the UK or Ireland.
This is not a requirement in any other EU country.
These Batteries are actually extremely safe. Statistically, your petrol or diesel car is actually much, much more likely to spontaneously burst into flames than a home battery.

There have been 0 reported fires due to house batteries or inverters in attics in the UK or Ireland.
This is not a requirement in any other EU country.
These Batteries are actually extremely safe. Statistically, your petrol or diesel car is actually much, much more likely to spontaneously burst into flames than a home battery.
Also where on earth do they go if not the attic?

why is it inconvienient. are your proposing to carry your 5kW battery around in case your mobile needs recharging?.

buy yourself a ladder, or better still a stira. job done.
ps,
give sputnik sources a miss

Back